Buying Steam Locomotive Bodies?

Hi again all

Is it possible to buy Locomotive bodies and Tenders for a reasonable sum? From time to time I see damaged items for sale and am wondering if such items are available or do I have to try my hand at repairing the existing ones....

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Apart from the s/hand market, where people who want a chassis for conversion....

Yes, some makers will sell new bodies for their locos. Its a case of ask their service/spares department and see what they have.

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

thanks very much!

Reply to
mindesign

G'day, What brand & Model are you after. Graeme Hearn, P.O. Box 20, Yerong Creek, New South Wales, 2642, Australia. Phone: 61 2 69 203 726 Email: snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.com Webpage:

Graeme Hearn

Hi Graeme - I am looking for Hornby British steam era - larger loco bodies preferred - apologies for how vague this is, but am trying to gather info and possibilities in prep. for my new layout.

Things like Britannia, Scotsman and Elizabeth though others too ..... was just wondering if they were available affordably or if people removed them in order to fit other locomotives.

If I had a wish it would contain OO/HO scale wheels in 8 ft. 1in. diameter and a chassis to take them in 4-2-2 config. for a project I am commencing tomorrow - building several powered Stirling Singles in OO scale.

Cheers

Steve

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Reply to
mindesign

On 03/01/2005 10:55, mindesign wrote,

Either I've lost the plot, or everyone else has missed the obvious! How about places like ModelSpares, East Kent Models, MB?

They usually have a good selection in stock.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Steve,

Make sure you can get the boiler between the driving wheels in 00. I think the prototype had a boiler that just squeezed between the driving wheel backs - which was common with a lot of Victorian era locomotives, and modelling in 00 isn't going to be a great help ;-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

So do Dapol AFAIR.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Just do what 00 modellers have always done, put the wheels inside the boiler, if you are starting from a Kitmaster kit they have already solved that problem for you. For wheels check and

For Hornby spares

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Changing the subject slightly (well quite a lot really), I would imagine that Mr Gibson's locomotive kits are highly detailed/accurate any idea of just how easily they go together, some of his smaller tank engines are just within my budget.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Keith

A great help, thanks!

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Paul

Just visited your site and saw a "Midland Spinner" displayed there ....... very pretty! Do you know the diameter of the drive wheel?

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

On 03/01/2005 19:25, mindesign wrote,

Thanks for your comments. It has since been sprayed, but I'm not happy with the shade, so I can see a visit to a Nitromors tub on the horizon. Meanwhile, if anyone has tips on getting a good shade of Midland Lake, I'm listening. I want it to look like what I can see in the NRM!

The driving wheels on this are 7ft 9in, and a bugger to get on the axles straight. I have no logical reason for building this kit - I just like the design. A Stirling Single (8ft drivers) is on my build list somewhere, but considering it is THE most elegant loco ever built, I'm amazed there is no kit for it (apart from the built Kitmaster model sitting on my mantelpiece and not hidden away by some collector somewhere!)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I will just get you my mailing address so I can assist you in remote-storing your Stirling Single - can't have anything going wrong with it now can we......

:)))))

Cheers

Steve

ps. I suggest making friends with an automotive spray painter, or colour matcher for your paint challenge.

Reply to
mindesign

Hi Steve, I'm fairly sure that back at my parents place I have an incomplete Kitmaster Stirling Single. This dates from my teenage years when an attempt was made to motorise it using the original plastic chassis with brass bushes to locate the axles. As you can imagine it was not a great success, but what's there might yield some useful parts for what you have in mind. I don't know what the structure is like under the thick and nasty paint, but there is at least a set of (now obsolete?) Romford 32mm driving wheels. I'll make an effort to dig it out next time I visit, in maybe 2-3 weeks. Amongst other bits and pieces I have there should be the chassis block at least from a Triang Dean single, which might be some help for a base chassis, though I don't know how the wheelbase compares. This may not be so straightforward though, I can't remember why I didn't try using these parts all those years ago. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Hi Bill

Thanks for the kind offer! I would love to take you up on it.

Could you please email me directly? I have emailed you but the mail keeps bouncing

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

You could always ask the NRM where they get their paint. (and what colour undercoat / how many coats of paint.)

They have there paint shop on site so there's a fair chance someone would know.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas