Bachmann 04

Any opinions on the quality of this model? I know it's based on the 03 originally produced in the Mainline days, but what are the running qualities like? Does it have the split chassis arrangement like other Mainline products? What about room for a decoder? As ever, all opinions valued, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Bachmann list it as a split chassis type

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

Thanks Mark, Anyone actually gone DCC with an 03 or 04? Bachmann's theory is fine, but no substritute for personal experience, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Hi Bill - just wondering if you see this, could you please email me direct regarding the Stirling Single parts -I tried your email link which appears to be dead.

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Remember that this loco represents the later 04's from *about* D2275 onwards. Earlier locos had no cutout in the footplate for a shunter to stand on. Bachmann have quite happily issued this model with running numbers that are incorrect.......... IIRC as well, the first 10 locos also had smaller wheels and smaller cab windows.

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

I am contemplating this... Steve Jones has put one of his very useful DCC installation guides up on his website this very week...

Doesn't look to daunting...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian, That wasn't there last time I looked! Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Hi Steve, Sorry about that, I set up a dead link a while back (BIG spam problem!) and to be honest, I completely forgot about it....... Try replacing "rabbits" with "rarebits" and you'll reach me fine, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

"Bill Davies" wrote

It isn't there now unless you know where to look! It's very much a temporary addition to Steve's website, and doesn't pretend to be otherwise.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sorry John/Steve. I didn't realise that it wasn't linked from the menu. Sorry if I trod on any toes.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Yes it is, there's a link from the main page :o)

No it isn't, it's now in the decoders section :o)

Methinks Steve read your post and is now taking the mickey?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

No. I contacted him about it and he replied saying it would be made permanent.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

A note of caution - I suspect the 03 and 04 are different - my Bachmann 04 has a different chassis to the one Steve J illustrates for his 03. In my 04 the motor is entirely encased by the chassis and it was an absolute b*st*rd to convert to DCC. It required significant surgery to the chassis to isolate the motor.

Simon R

Reply to
Simon Reader

I think this is the Bachmann chassis for both 03 and 04,

I suspect the pancake motor version in Steve's dcc page is the original Mainline version which may have carried through into early Bachmann production.

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Simon Reader" wrote

The Bachmann issued 03s and the later 04s were both equipped with a chassis which is different from the original Mainline 03 which Steve has used to illustrate the fitting of a DCC decoder.

However, the Bachmann 03s & 04s still have a split chassis design, so the basic way of fitting the decoder is the same, although I'm not sure whether it is necessary on the more recent models to dismantle the chassis quite so extensively to enable the motor brushes to be isolated.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Since the new design has the motor pretty well completely enclosed I suspect you will need to completely seperate the chassis halves. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Have you noticed that Steve routinely fits a decoder with more features than strictly necessary so that he can move it to another model at some point in the future?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Most of the Lenz decoders worth considering have four functions anyway so there's not necessarily a lot of choice. It also allows for the fitting of lighting kits at some stage in the future if one decides to go along that route.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks Keith, I set off with my son in search of a Bachmann 04 this afternoon, however we drew a blank on finding one in any finish, so it looks like it's down to getting one mail order. Seems it will have to come apart a lot further than the Mainline chassis shown on Steve Jones' website. Can anyone comment on the running qualites of the current Bachmann 04 compared to the Mainline 03? Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

I have fitted a TCS M2 to this chassis but the way I did it was a lot of work. In fact although I remember lots of drilling and filing I seem to have blotted it from my memory :-)

I "industrialised" mike fitting headlamps front and rear and an orange beacon on the roof. So much wiring that I daren't take it apart to look at what I did. Sorry.

But it did involve drilling out the chassis block to leave the motor brushes isolated and drilling for the leads. There is very little room inside.

If anyone has an easier way I'd like to hear it too.

Mike PC

Reply to
Mike PC