Camera Recommendations compact or dSLR?

Is it true that you can shoot more or less continuously until your memory card is full?

What lens(es) do you have, and how would you rate it(them)?

Reply to
Chris Tolley

Yes, although I don't think it is possible in RAW mode.

I realize you were directing this at Pete, but as another Sony A100 user, the 18-200mm I have is a great all-round lens that eliminates the need to change lenses in the field. The down-side is that it doesn't seem to produce crystal clear images.

Reply to
Dave Fossett

Viewfinders are deliberately designed to show less than the full frame - usually about 90-95% on SLRs, and 80-85% of range finders. This is true even of viewfinders on digital cameras. One reason is to allow for parallax on non-SLRs, the other is to ensure that all of what was wanted in the image will be recorded. People have a tendency to ignore the edges of the frame, and so miss the fact that Uncle Wally's beaming smile is visible but his twinkly eyes are not.

Why are there viewfinders on digitals? Because the screen is washed out in bright sunlight.

One other thing to consider is how fast the camera processes the image (calculates colour balance, stores it in memory, plus compression if that's the default.) These two factors determine the wait time between shots, which can be considerable, and lengthens as the batteries run down. SLRs generally do this much faster than compacts - it's one of the reasons for the higher price. (The other is the lens. Large chunks of optical glass cost a lot more than electronics.)

Reply to
Wolf

A timely reminder that the single most important component of the camera is the lens. Sony doesn't make its own lenses. Nikon, Canon, etc do make their own. OTOH, source matters, too: I was told by a camera store salesman that the best Nikon lenses are made in Thailand.

Reply to
Wolf

Ta. I've so far had Minolta cameras (DiMAGE 7 and A200) and have acquired a number of accessories - flashgun, remote cables etc. It looks as if these would also be compatible with the Sony A100. Do you have any experience of that?

Reply to
Chris Tolley

The Sony site had/has a page buried in there somewhere listing the compatibility of all the old Minolta equipment. All I know is that the Minolta alpha flash and lenses I had worked with the A100, although the wireless flash function didn't.

Reply to
Dave Fossett

Sony took over the Minolta lens factory. Some of the Tamrons are made there, and dont forget Minolta made some lens for Leica as well as body some years back. Who knows who makes what. Back in the 80's we used to reckon all

50mm f1.8 lens where made in the same factory
Reply to
Trev

Tamron used to make lens blanks for Leitz I am still thoroughly delighted with my Panasonic FZ30 which is relatively large and heavy when compared with a pocket digital, but has a Great Lens... The criticism is that low light areas have noise, which is fixed by the current FZ50.

I would have wished for a wider end of the zoom, but a relative 35-420 optical zoom is good. Changing a digital lens in the field is not really a "Good Thing" because dust is a major problem. The Panasonic camera has a Leica branded lens.

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

Seconded on the dpreview recommendation.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ibbotson

Well it must be true then!

Reply to
Chris Game

The nikon d40 x has little advantage over the d40 more pixels you don't need the same size sensor, but the pixels are bigger on the d40 which counter balances for the smaller number , same lens only other difference is the addition of iso 100 . Canon 400 is more complicated kit lens not as good .but dust reduction . if you go for d40 then you can have anther lens for nearly the same money . There is really not a lot between then , see what they feel like to you .

Reply to
mr lim

"Cats" wrote

I've printed pictures to close on A4 size using my D30 without any problems, but I do have good lenses. I know where you're coming from though, and for that reason I've recently added an 8 mega-pixel 30D to my camera bag, but I wouldn't part with the older camera because the quality is so good and it's useful to have two cameras.

I've seen used D30s selling for as little as GBP2-300.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

He went further than that. There were three boxed lenses. He opened every one, and found one of the three to be made In Thailand. That's the one he swapped out for the Phillipines-made one that came with the camera.

Reply to
Wolf

As this is posted to uk.rec.models.rail.....

Do you also plan to take photos of model railways with this camera, or only the prototype?

The place where I work has a pair of very old Nikon cameras, but they are wonderful at the closeup work that is necessary for some of our detailed product photographs. They work just fine all the way down to 8 cm or so, and would probably make great model railway cameras, if they were still on the market (not even close - they were discontinued years ago).

This need for very close focusing is certainly something to keep in mind if you plan to take model shots. The reason why we continue to use these two ancient (in electronics years) devices is because some of the more modern equipment we have doesn't have as good a range in closeup mode.

One of our local camera stores that caters to the professional photographer will rent digital cameras. If you can find someone that does this, you might have the opportunity to try things out before you buy anything.

Reply to
gl4316

You can get a new Olympus e-330 for £339

The LiveView feature with x10 magnification would be very useful for taking photos of models. You can see exactly how much DOF you're getting (or as is usually the case NOT getting).

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

I've had results from 2 megapixels which printed more than satisfactorily on A4. You would have to be ultra critical to see much if any improvement from 3 megapixels or more. You would also need a magnifying glass.

Reply to
Terry Harper

Apart from the D40 and D40x which need the for digital lens. all the Nikon cameras can use nearly all the older Nikor lens but dont forget the difference in sensor size will give a x1.5 increase in apparent focal length but in this are that can be to your advantage, More room for balancing the lighting. The Std 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 would be ideal

Reply to
Trev

Yes, with a fast enough CF card.

I have the two 'kit' lenses, the 18-70 and 75-300 (=28-105 and 112-450) and a couple of old Minolta primes (28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.7).

The 18-70 is a very good all-purpose lens, the 75-300 is extremely good for the price. The 50mm f1.7 Minolta is a gorgeous indoor/portrait lens. The 28mm f2.8 was a recent impulse purchase and seems to be excellent too.

pete

Reply to
Pete Fenelon

Trev wrote: [...]

The above is a good example of the useful bits of information that show up when someone asks for advice. I've learned a lot useful stuff on this thread. Thanks to the OP for starting it. ;-)

Reply to
Wolf

If you're happy with a print of 150dpi from a 2Mp image, thats fine. Most magazines are looking for 300dpi and thats a vast improvement on quality over 150dpi without the need for a magnifying glass to view it. Where a 10Mp camera does comes in handy is when you take a real crap picture as I did yesterday and wonder afterwards whether the sky or a pair of 37's is the subject. A vast amount of cropping and the use of the cloning tool turned a pigs ear into a pair of 37's looking quite dramatic passing Margam Depot at one hell of a speed and still makes 300dpi for a 6 inch print.

Martin Bray