Camera Recommendations compact or dSLR?

Dave Fossett wrote:

A timely reminder that the single most important component of the camera is the lens. Sony doesn't make its own lenses. Nikon, Canon, etc do make their own. OTOH, source matters, too: I was told by a camera store salesman that the best Nikon lenses are made in Thailand.
--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Sony took over the Minolta lens factory. Some of the Tamrons are made there, and dont forget Minolta made some lens for Leica as well as body some years back. Who knows who makes what. Back in the 80's we used to reckon all 50mm f1.8 lens where made in the same factory
On May 12, 9:06 am, "Trev" <trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:

Tamron used to make lens blanks for Leitz I am still thoroughly delighted with my Panasonic FZ30 which is relatively large and heavy when compared with a pocket digital, but has a Great Lens... The criticism is that low light areas have noise, which is fixed by the current FZ50.
I would have wished for a wider end of the zoom, but a relative 35-420 optical zoom is good. Changing a digital lens in the field is not really a "Good Thing" because dust is a major problem. The Panasonic camera has a Leica branded lens.
David

Well it must be true then!
--
Chris Game

Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...
Chris Game wrote:

He went further than that. There were three boxed lenses. He opened every one, and found one of the three to be made In Thailand. That's the one he swapped out for the Phillipines-made one that came with the camera.
--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)
Dave Fossett wrote:

Ta. I've so far had Minolta cameras (DiMAGE 7 and A200) and have acquired a number of accessories - flashgun, remote cables etc. It looks as if these would also be compatible with the Sony A100. Do you have any experience of that?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683752.html
(142 076 at Cardiff Central, 30 Jun 1999)
Chris Tolley wrote:

The Sony site had/has a page buried in there somewhere listing the compatibility of all the old Minolta equipment. All I know is that the Minolta alpha flash and lenses I had worked with the A100, although the wireless flash function didn't.
--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Yes, with a fast enough CF card.

I have the two 'kit' lenses, the 18-70 and 75-300 ((-105 and 112-450) and a couple of old Minolta primes (28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.7).
The 18-70 is a very good all-purpose lens, the 75-300 is extremely good for the price. The 50mm f1.7 Minolta is a gorgeous indoor/portrait lens. The 28mm f2.8 was a recent impulse purchase and seems to be excellent too.
pete
--
snipped-for-privacy@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"

AdrianB wrote:

Ask yourself what you want to do with the pictures. If you want to look at them on a monitor or your TV, then you don't need an SLR. If you want to make prints up to 8x10, then you don't need an SLR. Today's compact digitals are wonderful machines, and are capable of many things you will have little if any use for.
My advice is to look for: a) about 6-8 megapixel - you don't need any more. In fact, 4MP is enough for album-sized prints (up to 5x7), and will yield acceptable 8x10 prints. b) optical zoom of 4 to 1 or better. c) use of plain vanilla AA or AAA batteries. d) a large folding viewscreen. e) as many automated shooting modes as possible, with complete manual setting capability.
The Canon Powershots all meet these criteria, except for the folding screen, for which you will pay extra (and IMO worth it - I wish I had it on my camera.)
I faced the same choice last autumn prior to a trip to the UK. I thought, Great, this is an excuse to get a digital SLR. I hefted the SLRs in the camera shop (Nikon, Canon, and Olympus), and decided that the extra weight wasn't worth it. I bought a second compact (point'n'shoot) digital instead. Now we have two Canon Powershots, and like them very much. They can do just about everything an SLR can do. The newer one wants to shoot at the fastest ISO setting, which can cause problems, and because it has a larger lens, it doesn't do close-up (macro) shots as well. (Smaller lenses have smaller actual apertures, which means they have better depth of field.) But otherwise it can do more than I have need for.
Unsolicited advice A: buy two or more 2GB memory cards for your camera, and set it to take pictures at the highest _optical_ resolution it is capable of. Many cameras offer a higher resolution that is achieved by digital trickery. The resulting images are not as sharp as they should be.
Unsolicited advice B: use the money you save towards buying a good. multi-tank printer. I have a Canon Pixma, but Epson also makes very good printers. Avoid printers that use black plus a tricolour cartridge. If you will do a lot of plain old b/w text printing, buy a b/w laser printer too - higher upfront cost for two printers, but much cheaper in the long run. (A b/w page printed with an inkjet printer will cost 5 to 20 times as much as the same page printed with a laser.)
--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)
AdrianB wrote:

They will be half-price this time next year and the new model will have 50% better resolution!
Thanks for all your suggestions. It looks like a Nikon D40x or a Canon EOS 400 look favourite. I'll try to have a look at those this weekend.
Adrian

The nikon d40 x has little advantage over the d40 more pixels you don't need the same size sensor, but the pixels are bigger on the d40 which counter balances for the smaller number , same lens only other difference is the addition of iso 100 . Canon 400 is more complicated kit lens not as good .but dust reduction . if you go for d40 then you can have anther lens for nearly the same money . There is really not a lot between then , see what they feel like to you .

Canon are doing cash back offers at the moment so it would be sensible to check on their website. I've applied for 100pound back from them as I bought a Canon EFS17-85 IS lens recently and using the Jessops price matching voucher in Digital Camera magazine they only charged me 339pounds instead of the normal Jessops price of 510pounds, so once I get the cash back cheque from Canon it will only have cost me 239pounds.
Alan
--
--. --. --. --. : : --- --- ----------------------------
|_| |_| | _ | | | | |_ | snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk

As this is posted to uk.rec.models.rail.....
Do you also plan to take photos of model railways with this camera, or only the prototype?
The place where I work has a pair of very old Nikon cameras, but they are wonderful at the closeup work that is necessary for some of our detailed product photographs. They work just fine all the way down to 8 cm or so, and would probably make great model railway cameras, if they were still on the market (not even close - they were discontinued years ago).
This need for very close focusing is certainly something to keep in mind if you plan to take model shots. The reason why we continue to use these two ancient (in electronics years) devices is because some of the more modern equipment we have doesn't have as good a range in closeup mode.
One of our local camera stores that caters to the professional photographer will rent digital cameras. If you can find someone that does this, you might have the opportunity to try things out before you buy anything.
--
-Glennl
The despammed service works OK, but unfortunately

Apart from the D40 and D40x which need the for digital lens. all the Nikon cameras can use nearly all the older Nikor lens but dont forget the difference in sensor size will give a x1.5 increase in apparent focal length but in this are that can be to your advantage, More room for balancing the lighting. The Std 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 would be ideal
Trev wrote: [...]

The above is a good example of the useful bits of information that show up when someone asks for advice. I've learned a lot useful stuff on this thread. Thanks to the OP for starting it. ;-)
--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)
<trevbowdenAT.dsl.pipex.COM> wrote:> Apart from the D40 and D40x which need the for digital lens. all the Nikon

These are all compact cameras, not dSLR. I can hope that some day we have such tools to use....