Need a RC helicopter or plane to carry a small mini dv camera - any suggestions?

I am looking to strap a minDV camera to a small RC plane or helicopter for some aerial shots - any suggestions for someone on a tighter budget?

Reply to
David De

Climb a tree??????? Sorry I just couldn't help myself. Budget and aerial photography prolly don't belong in the same sentence.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
2fast

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:26:26 -0600, 2fast wrote in :

Think kite aerial photography, perhaps:

Helium baloon aerial photography might be even better:

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

----------------

I have to admit that I snorted and guffawed when I first saw your suggestion of using a kite or helium balloon. However, now that I think of it, the balloon needs absolutely zero pilot skill to control and cannot be "shot down" via RF interference.

I don't care much for the kite idea because it depends on wind, blowing at a given speed and probably from a favorable position. It also requires some piloting skill.

The helium balloon may be perfect for some situations. The camera module will need to be gyro stabilized, but that is doable, low tech and should be relatively inexpensive.

You've proved your justification for your Doctorate, friend Marty.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 02:59:00 -0400, "Ed Cregger" wrote in :

The gang who sent me to Fiji and New Zealand in 2003 to look for the bones of a person who died on Gardner Island before

1940 used Kite Aerial Photography with some success on their 2007 expedition to Gardner (now Nikumaroro). I've seen the results, but I can't find any photos on the group's main site:

It sounded crazy to me, too--but then I googled it and found a few hits. People do strange and wonderful things. ;o)

Yes. There's no free lunch with any of these approaches.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ed!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Youtube...there are tons of photos taken with cameras affixed to the "Super Cub". The Super cub is a well thought of trainer with electric power. How high; what distance; longevity etc. I do not know about.

On

and, I believe, on
there are beginner's groups that ONLY fly the Super Cub. At a $160.00 list price and whatever additional amount the camera would cost, one could get into aerial photography on the cheap.

Take a look.

I have not successfully flown the Super Cub myself (though I've tried ... I am a klutz) but hundreds of "pilots" are probably not all wrong...regards, rich

Reply to
rich

One thing with helium balloons; I used an 80" weather baloon (tethered) to launch wire antennas for amateur radio events. It works well as long as their's no wind. I tied a Sony Hi8 camcorder to a couple of balloons later on. I needed more than one balloon to carry the load. Problem with the wind was that I added balloons for the heavier load, and the multiple balloons created more wind drag. It was still a fun project.

Reply to
Bill Smith

what about this one ?

It is small but not sure about the quality

Reply to
Bluemoon

Quality is ok, and the price is very good, I'd just ordered this lipo

hobbyking