Child Protection Legislation

AIUI, if an extended CRB check was called for, and that check reported back unsubstantiated allegations (possibly resulting from malicious complaints) then the person being checked could not be told of that "intelligence"

Reply to
Phil O. Sopher

The person involved gets exactly the same report as the employer, if is up to the police as to what information they wish to disclose or feel is relevant, or legal to disclose.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My uncle had a fit when he saw "ferroeuqinologist". Thou Shalt Not Mix Latin and Greek Bases...

So it should ierohippophile. ;-)

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

least one club

is a pity.We are

Hi Keith, I think I can help here, I have walked this way before and although what I am about to present is under the "Previous regime" my understanding is that things have NOT CHANGED substantively with the latest version that has obviously sparked this debate.

We, Fareham & Dist MRC, had a vexatious member who, for reasons best known to himself, tried to stop us having the junior members in the club at all when the CRB system first came in. As a result we went through the "proper channels" and set everything up the way is should be. This is what you need to know:

  1. The first thing you will need to do is to talk to your local Council for Voluntary Service. Your email address suggests that you live in Powys, if so then your nearest contact would be Powys Association of Voluntary Organisations. Their website is
    If this isn't where you live then google "Council for voluntary Service " to find out who to contact. Our organisation is Fareham Community Action at
  2. They will advise you to write a Protection Policy for the club and you need to get it approved by your membership. Depending on how your club is set up you might be able to make it a part of your constitution. You will find ours at
  3. The way we work it is that we insist that if a youngster wants to come along then it is the parent who joins the club and takes full responsibility for the youngster's safety and actions whilst on club premises. We are "flexible" as to who actually comes with the child, it could be the mother one week and the father the next, it doesn't really matter as long as there is always an adult to take charge of the child. And you'd be surprised just how keen the parents are to get involved, even if it is just making the tea (or cleaning our kitchen area up).
3a. We find this approach also gives us the ability to protect the club from the child, for instance we had one child who was a total nightmare and wouldn't accept that when we were using power tools and said to him, "don't stand there, its dangerous" we really meant it. In that case we said to the mother, if he won't take safety advice we can't have him in the club - and they left. Handling that situation without the parent available would be very difficult (as any teacher will tell you).
  1. Don't forget, it isn't just children that need protecting in this way. The proper title of our policy is Vulnerable Members Protection Policy; we have a couple of late teen/early adulthood members/prospective members who have learning difficulties and they are very much in the sphere of needing "protection" as well.

Finally, if anyone tries to tell you that you need to make a clean CRB check a condition of membership ignore them, to do so would be an infringement of human rights (or so I was told). This was the approach our vexatious member insisted we went down until we were able to rein him in. Also, I see in some of the other responses in this thread that the question has surfaced of who can apply for the CRB disclosure and how much it costs. The answer is, for a voluntary organisation it has to be the CVS in who's jurisdiction the organisation resides, in our case Fareham Community Action; that's not to say that the someone might slip under the radar and manage to get a disclosure direct from the Bureau, but in theory they should only release info to the responsible CVS. The cost is very much down to the CVS, I think ours charge a fiver to cover the postage &c but they can and do waive the charge if they think that might be the most appropriate thing to do.

Hope this has helped, let me know how you get on.

Regards

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

like that, it should go down well as a starter when meet a lady :-) Guess the hippo bit refers to a horse but can you explain the rest ?

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
simon

Dont think received anything from social services 10 years ago when they did an enhanced check, but there was so much paperwork flying around could have missed it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

iero - Gk for iron, hippo- Gk for horse, phil- Gk for love/affection.

You're welcome. ;-)

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

What about "television"?

Reply to
MartinS

No good will come of it.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

The point is surely not how easy it is to achieve but that it should not be needed at all.

It is an example of several recent laws which are ineffective.

Ineffective because they target the innocent (who never did the disputed acts anyway), whilst the evil among us carry on as they did anyway (because they were illegal within the old laws and new laws don't change their attitudes!)

An examples is handgun control after the Dunblane massacre; there are now more handguns on the street than ever before when previously all hand guns were safe in the hands of law-abiders.

As with child protection; those of us who object to the new arrangements will simply withdraw support thus leaving the field wide open to the paederasts (who were illegal anyway and won't be affected by any new laws)

Reply to
Phil O. Sopher

It'll never catch on, y'know :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

There does seem to be a very naive attitude amongst politicians that all that's needed to make a problem go away is to make it illegal. All it does is to drive the problem underground where it's harder to keep tabs on it.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In a democracy the politicians are more or less obliged to pander to people shouting "someone[else] should do something". If the politicians don't, they will be declared offensive, uncaring, etc etc etc.

Come the revolution...

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Should be "teleoptikon".

Heh heh!

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

I suspect no one on this group have had a child of their own or a relative abused but if we had then we may well have a very strong viewpoint on the matter ....... "protection at all costs". The problem is CRB checks are just that a CRIMINAL records check, anyone who has not been caught, in theory, would be allowed a pass.

My feelings on the matter is not extra legislation but a greater awareness by people in groups that these people do exist and to actively protect the youngsters in the temp care of the group.

Youngsters like their independence and these groups help give them that plus more.

As is the case be it football, concerts, a quiet drink down the local or a 'social' club a very small minority spoil it for us all.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

They are very much obliged to listen to the public, but *all* of the public, and that includes the silent majority - not just the noisy ones with access to the media (or the media itself). Thinking things though would be a good idea too - creating a situation where a Police Officer cannot look after another Police Officer's child, never mind ordinary folk, just shows that very little, if any, thought went into the consequences of legislation.

Doing a Failure Mode Analysis used to be the job of Parliament/House of Lords at the various Committee stages, but since Smiling Tony and his chums started side-stepping Parliament and the Lords any old rubbish gets passed.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

"Fraud is illegal, therefore we didn't fiddle our expenses"?

Reply to
David Cantrell

And now the precedents have been set, it will be no different when smiling David gets in with his chums.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Absolutely! Same slime, different colour flag...............

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends

Don't you guys vote?