Computer help needed O/T

Nerd needs help, and I know a lot of you guys are a lot more computer literate than me.

Scenario.

I downloaded Google Earth. When I activated it, a window popped open, I think from Norton Personal Firewall, asking me to make a rule about Earth contacting the Internet, i.e.....always allow access etc.

I stupidly, yes I repeat stupidly, instructed who or whatever was asking, to always block communication from Google Earth to the Internet.

Anybody got any idea how I can reverse this ??

I have tried deleting and reloading Earth, but I don't get the connection option.

Help !

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

I expect there is an option in norton

Reply to
Trev

Close Google Earth. Open the Norton Firewall application/control panel. Find the rule for Google Earth and delete it. Quit from the Norton tool.

Then if you try to open Google Earth, the firewall should ask again.

If you can't find this in the Firewall application, then either Norton is rubbish and their help/manuals are useless, or you're not looking hard enough.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Look under the programs tab in personal firewall configure option (on my system it is part of the security basics option). Scroll until you find anything to do with Google Earth and change the option. Tony

Reply to
Tony

"Keith J Patrick" wrote

McAfee firewall allows you to 'reset defaults' - I assume there's a similar facility with Norton.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Many thanks for all the (reasonable) suggestions, which have allowed me to sort out the problem.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

Didnt give a suggestion cos you had already been given the correct advice. However seriously consider removing norton when your subscription renewel is due.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I have been using norton for over ten years, never had a problem with it although I have heard of others who have, and have also heard of others who have had problems with other AV software. My subscription runs out in 2115, so hopefully I will carry on using it till then before thinking of changing it.

Reply to
Dobbin

I do some comms programming and use different ports for various things, but found it very difficult to know when norton was blocking something. The load/applying of firewall rules didnt seem quite as it should be. Main difference noticed between norton and McAfee is how long Norton takes to load/initialise on startup. was amased at McAffe's speed - even the tot noticed the reduced delay ! Then for last month of subscription kept getting a pop up saying subscription about to run out with the option to renew pre-selected. Finally was asked if wanted free upgrade last month which i selected, then one component failed and the rest demanded an instant reboot - one I didnt want at that time !

Cheers, Simon Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon