Connecting setrack turnouts to flexitrack

I am very new to railway modelling and am currently laying the track on a new project and am encountering problems as follows:
I am using a fixed (setrack) lefthand turnout, and am connecting it to a pieces of flexitrack. I have installed standard rail joiners to the turnout, and have attempted to connect this with the running rails of the flexitrack.
Because the flexitrack isn't perfectly straight (as is it's nature), the running rails are not completely aligned at their end points, meaning there is a 'gap' between the left running rail and its respective rail on the turnout, but no gap on the right rail. The result is a derailment as the train passes over the S&C. The alignment can be rectified by bending the track one way or the other, but this results in gaps at the other end!
Is there any way I can "lock" the geometry of the flexitrack while I "install" the flexitrack to the turnout? If not, how best can I achieve a tight fit at the turnouts?
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
turnupthebassnow
Spamgaurd: You must remove the vegetable from my email address when replying.
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:46:16 +0100, "turnupthebassnow"

With flextrack you have to cut the rails to length after bending to get the rails to line up as you want. Buy a pair of Xuron rail cutters to do this job, and a small file to clean off any burrs so the rail joiners fit properly. The cutters are a bit pricy but by far the best tool for the job, a 'must have' for any flextrack user. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

It's also a good idea to solder the flextrack to the turnout (using rail joiners), then align the flextrack and trim the other end as required.
--
Martin S.

wrote: ...

Dremmel or similar mini-drill with a cutting disk would get my vote, even more pricey than xuron cutters nut I'd argue more precise, cleaner finish and of course a lot more adaptable. In fact as I have a *whole day of work* today I'll be nipping upstairs in a few mins to lay some track.
Just my 2ps worth.
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson
If I understand your question correctly :- My approach would be to pin down the turnout in the correct position. attach the flexi track to the turn out without any gap. Then work away pinning the flexi track down along the required alignment to the next turn out then cut off the excess rail from the inside of the curve so that it fits snugly to the turnout without any gaps. Remember most people cut flexi track to length rather to fit a particular situation rather than using it in the metre lengths that it comes supplied. If you actually lay the flexitrack straight you will generally find that both rails are the same length.
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:46:16 +0100, "turnupthebassnow"