Connecting setrack turnouts to flexitrack

I am very new to railway modelling and am currently laying the track on a new project and am encountering problems as follows:

I am using a fixed (setrack) lefthand turnout, and am connecting it to a pieces of flexitrack. I have installed standard rail joiners to the turnout, and have attempted to connect this with the running rails of the flexitrack.

Because the flexitrack isn't perfectly straight (as is it's nature), the running rails are not completely aligned at their end points, meaning there is a 'gap' between the left running rail and its respective rail on the turnout, but no gap on the right rail. The result is a derailment as the train passes over the S&C. The alignment can be rectified by bending the track one way or the other, but this results in gaps at the other end!

Is there any way I can "lock" the geometry of the flexitrack while I "install" the flexitrack to the turnout? If not, how best can I achieve a tight fit at the turnouts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

turnupthebassnow

Spamgaurd: You must remove the vegetable from my email address when replying.

Reply to
turnupthebassnow

With flextrack you have to cut the rails to length after bending to get the rails to line up as you want. Buy a pair of Xuron rail cutters to do this job, and a small file to clean off any burrs so the rail joiners fit properly. The cutters are a bit pricy but by far the best tool for the job, a 'must have' for any flextrack user. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Reply to
Rich

It's also a good idea to solder the flextrack to the turnout (using rail joiners), then align the flextrack and trim the other end as required.

Reply to
MartinS

Dremmel or similar mini-drill with a cutting disk would get my vote, even more pricey than xuron cutters nut I'd argue more precise, cleaner finish and of course a lot more adaptable. In fact as I have a *whole day of work* today I'll be nipping upstairs in a few mins to lay some track.

Just my 2ps worth.

Reply to
Chris Wilson