"Removeable" turnouts

On the modular layout at my local club, the various sections are joined by having a short (8" or so) section of track that lays down between the modules. The trick is that the club cuts underneath the ties at the ends of the "permanent" sections so that the rail joiners can slide completely underneath them (and thus release the joiner track) Once the joiner track is in place, you can simply slide the rail joiners back so that they hold the track in place.

My question is - has anyone ever tried this with switch machines, so that they could be lifted out without tearing them (and the surrounding track) up? I find when I lay track and then glue it down, anywhere that has a turnout is very tough to change because trying to lift the turnout always damages the surrounding track so badly. I was hoping that by having "removable" switch machines this could be avoided.

Just curious if anyone has ever done this (or something similar).

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott Powell