Cyril Freezer

In case no-one on here is aware, Cyril Freezer (the erstwhile editor of Railway Modeller) passed away in his sleep last night/this morning.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sorry to hear that. Cyril was one of the great pioneers of 4mm modelling. I knew him well back in the 50's when he was just getting the 'Modeller' going. He encouraged me to produce rolling stock drawings and published them. The money came in handy as I was in impecunious student at the time. He was also indirectly responsible for the rise and rise of P4 by challenging the North London Group to produce an exhibitable layout. The rest is history as they say. I was there and it was no easy feat.

Alistair Wright

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Oh that is sad. A formative name from my youth.

I wonder how old he was?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

CJ Freezer of blessed memory.

An absolute lynchpin of British railway modelling for as long as I can remember (and I'm 60).

Reply to
Brian Watson

At a guess at least 85. I'm 76 and he was running the RM when I was a student.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Indeed a great loss. I still have some of his track plan books dating back, I suppose, to the 79's. He has left his mark on model railways, no doubt about that!

Krypsis

Reply to
Krypsis

CJF (and RM) were the formative influences when I took up the hobby in High School, early 1960's. Even though my interests and abilities have changed since then I still regard him as one of the 5 greats of the Hobby. John Ahern and David Jenkinson were the other two Brits.

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Oz

A great pioneer, a great inspirer.

Sigh.

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

Sad news indeed. I recieved a copy of his GWR Outlines this very day!

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor