DC control

My son has never shown any interest in trains, but he regularly broke his bicycle and numerous other things.

That was always my motto.

As far as Lima models go, I have had excellent success in improving the running qualities by adding a second motor bogie and lots of weight to double bogie Diesels. The Lima motor bogie is actually of excellent quality for it's price, runs well, is reliable and is readily repaired if it does get damaged. It's never going to match an instrument motor with flywheels etc but the real operating problem is lack of weight and the empty plastic box body which makes an excellent amplifier for those noisy gears. A 'junk-box' donor loco should be reasonably easy to find for a few dollars. The resultant loco will hold it's own with vastly more expensive locos :-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Wire the motors in series and they run nice and slow too, with extra pickups the running becomes far smoother. The load hauling has to be seen to be believed, far superior to double headed unmodified locos. Of course some locos do not suit wiring in series (HST or XPT) as they will run too slow.

Regards

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

I did that to a Bachmann 44 ton switcher a while back.

It transforms switchers but halves the maximum speed.

The motors also start at exactly the same time.

Once upon a time real electric locomotives, railcars, tramcars etc started in series and only switched to parallel when they had reached a certain speed.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Christopher,

Wasn't that the switching of the field coils of the motors series wound to shunt wound - which is a bit different to connecting complete motors in series or parallel.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In message , Jim Guthrie writes

I seem to remember that the controller on the 4-EPB electrics had 4 positions: shunt, series, parallel, and weak field.

Reply to
John Sullivan

--

Terry Flynn

You are the one who intends waste time re-powering your Lima 44's. I never suggested to do it. I suggested getting an accurate model instead, the Trainorama 44.

HO wagon weight and locomotive tractive effort estimates

DC control circuit diagrams

HO scale track standards

Reply to
Terry Flynn

I never had any great success with the lima mechanisms, dual motors still had poor pickup and higher than average minimum speed range. In fact I found it easier to get my steam locomotives to run better than Lima diesels.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Perhaps I'm just lucky with my examples, or perhaps I set them up better than other people, but mine run quite nicely.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Each to their own f#ckwit.

nathan

Reply to
Nathan & Rebecca Cox

Who gives a f#ck, thats your opinion but everyone doesnt have to agree with you do they.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan & Rebecca Cox

Ahhh, yes, you're the guy who sent his wife down to Cox Brothers Clothiers to get him a seercucker suit, and she went to Sears instead. Fits you perfectly.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Umm Im from Australia pal what the hell is Sears.Is that some American thing.

Typical Yanks.

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan & Rebecca Cox

So you will get your wife to pay the bills and eat the kid, or the other way around?

Reply to
David Johnson

I'm going to suggest that if you don't like Terry, you add him to your killfile.

If it hadn't been for reading his posting, I wouldn't have known about his website, which contains some pretty good stuff. A solid contribution.

Your contribution?

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard

Umm I don't think so, my wife and son come first.Hobbies come second, my wife and son are the most precious to me

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan & Rebecca Cox

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:56:14 +1300, Gregory Procter wrote: ...

Likewise we've found that ensuring the track is well laid and kept clean, as are the locomotive wheels, plus using a Gaugemaster HH feedback control gives extremely good low speed running. Many people express surprise when informed that the locomotive's are just standard Lima 'pancake' mechanisms.

That said the one simple upgrade I would recommend is arranging for power collection from as many wheels as possible in order to avoid stalling when passing over the frog of turnouts (and yes they are 'live' frog turnouts).

Reply to
Chris White

I found the addition of weight made the difference, so I haven't bothered with extra pickups (yet) That being said, I never build a model loco with less than 3 wheels on each side collecting and that with at least one axle floating. (exception 0-4-0t)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter