DC vs DCC sales

With the release of Hornby scots and patriots in both DC and DCC anyone got a good idea as to relative sales ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I imagine both are poor, considering the scathing write-up the Scot got in Model Rail this month!

Hornby should release DC only, with the option to fit a decoder. I dont understand why I (or anyone else) would pay an extra 12 squid for a model fitted with a chipboard thats cost pence to manufacture. Its just an example of ex-Zero 1/new age 'Tech guys' thinking they know whats what when really, they havent a clue!

Reply to
TheLegacy

Interesting you should call it scathing. They say the chimney profile is incorrect from the front - but I couldn't find any pictures 'face on' to compare with. Then the front buffer beam is plain. I must need new glasses, the dozen or so photos I looked at show plain bufferbeams. But does those 2 comments add up to scathing ? yes am ignoring the coupler bit .

The Factfile part seemed a bit thrown together as though sentences were removed from other articles to create a different one. Surely Fowler didn't find himself in need of anything, the operating Department asked for a new type of loco. Was the original Scots boiler a development of that from the Lickey Banker.

If we find that a significant number of DCC fitted models have been sold, then Hornby were right to release in that form and your lack of understanding may hold you back if you ever go into business. I bought one DCC fitted.

I really don't like to argue with everything someone says so by all means be proud of you're membership. It should be a personal choice whatever it is.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I suggest *you* get a clue about (a) the cost of a decoder (it's certainly not pence, but not =A312 either) and (b) how component costs translate to street price. The same rules apply to any component, decoder, wheels, chassis block...

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I dont think anything would hold me back 'if I went into business'. If people are gullible enough to pay an extra £12 per model, then why stop them! The point that I was trying to make is what was wrong with the 'DCC ready' system? If a customer wants DCC, they pay an extra tenner for it (or whatever fitment price a said modelshop can 'dream up'). Then, people using DCC and DC control are suited for. Or is this not enough of a profit margin for both Hornby, and model shops alike?!? ;O)

Reply to
TheLegacy via ModelGeeks.com

Actually, on average, Hornby charge an extra £12 for DCC fitted loco's. See their website if you dont believe me (maybe its 'you' that needs a clue?!?).

So perhaps you could explain to me, what is so special about the chips that Bachmann fit to their 'wow wee DCC sound' loco's that they add roughly £60.00 to the price?!? They dont even work, there is no doppler effect whatsoever, locos sound the same in one position on a layout as they do in others.

Reply to
TheLegacy via ModelGeeks.com

I wasn't arguing about what Hornby actually charge for a decoder, but you're assertion that a decoder costs "pence" and the implication that it's wrong to charge =A312 for it. =A312 is aperfectly reasonable price, given the component and manufacturing costs of a decoder.

It's a sound decoder. At this level, any decoder is more than the simple cost of physical components. Like I said, when you've got a clue about what goes into a decoder you might understand.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I think in fairness that the maufacturers have probably concluded that "everyone" will want DCC (they may or may not be right) in the future, so they are pushing it along. The wisdom of trying to make a profit, or at least allowing customers to work out you are, on such an (potenially unrequired) update is debateable.

Were I still modeling in 00, the choice between an expensive controller and loads of decoders or extra stock would be a no-brainer - more stock and some switches every time. Happily, modelling in 0 is equally a no-brainer - engines are too expensive, so driving one at a time will be ok for some considerable time!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

A comment to amplify MBQ's:

The major cost of any decoder is warehousing, packaging, and distribution. This is in addition to assembly, which I understand to involve an above average amount of human labour. For that matter, setting up the assembly line can be large proportion of the cost, if only a few thousand items are made.** This "overhead" is an increasing proportion of the cost of all kinds of manufactured products, not only electronic devices.

But of course the components themselves cost fractions of a cent each - they are as I understand it off-the-shelf EEPROMs, for example, manufactured by the millions.

I've noticed that Digitraxx et al make decoders shaped to fit specific locomotives. That isn't cheap, and only the very low cost of the components makes it possible to offer such customised devices at a (relatively) low price.

**This set-up cost can be so great that it's worthwhile for a US manufacturer to ship molded parts to a Chinese factory whose line is already set up for assembly of model trains. The Chinese factory is set up for minimal changes to its line to assemble different models, you see.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

A good argument for having decoders already installed is that removes the possibility of damaging the loco when trying to get it open and then closed up if you need a DCC loco. Also if you don't have the time to pick a decoder from the large range available and then work out how to open the loco up. For the record the above has not unduly put me off in the past but it sometimes difficult to get into locos without damaging them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I've damaged the detail mouldings on Bachmann 4MT tanks, Hornby N15s, and even a Hornby Mallard when trying to get the body off to fit a decoder, then trying to put it back on again. Much as I like the detail, and applaud the manufacturers for fitting it, there remains a problem when their own instructions don't deal with how to protect the detail when removing body to do things such as fit DCC decoders, or to maintain the mechanism (i.e., oil motor bearings and the like).

Reply to
Ian J.

I've no idea what you are trying to claim here. Nor do i understand why my posts appear on modelgeeks forum as though i posted them there.

Message posted to uk.rec.models.rail

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

It's a US website that posts uk.rec.models.rail under the guise of its "railroad" forum. IOW in a sense it's "passing off" uk.rec.models.rail as one of its own forums.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

How you getting on with that LNWR kit ?

XMAS on its way so maybe someone wants to buy me something similar.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news:OY-dnQ_E- snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I've actually changed priorities and am looking at 009 (as I have enough 00 stock for getting on with - just) and a DCC setup

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Let me know when you change back then. what DCC system did you go for ?

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news:D6- snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I haven't yet (awaits my Christmas slush money from work) but it will either be the Gaugemaster offering or the NCE.

Reply to
Chris Wilson