DCC is the future

The railway modelling magazines don't help the promulgation of DCC. Their coverage is turbidly written, technology led, and often plain wrong. For example, in the "DCC demystified" programme on the latest Railway Modeller CD, it says categorically that you must run bus cables parallel with both sides of every piece of track and connect from this to the rails at least every 6 feet. This may be best practice, but it is certainly not essential, and it will definitely put newcomers off. Roco and Fleishmann both sell DCC starter packs with the usual oval of track and a siding or two, and they run perfectly with one connection to the track. I regularly run trains over 10 metre lengths of track supplied with current/signal at one point, and the trains run and respond uniformly throughout. Obviously, I would recommend using more connections than this on a complicated or large layout, just as you would with a complicated or large DC layout.

Reply to
Martin Wykes

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Martin

John Turner wrote:

Reply to
Martin Wykes

In message , Phil writes

Phil

Thank you for this information. I shall have to make enquiries of Kent Garden Railways, my local LGB stockist who also sold me my Aristocraft Train Engineers. (Mind you, it's odd that he didn't mention the LGB radio-control DCC stuff.)

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Martin Wykes writes

On my garden layout, I have to connect every length of the track to the bus wires, or solder jumpers across the fishplates, otherwise I get very erratic running.

No, this isn't DCC, but analogue.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Eh? There was no version of this loco running in NSW.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

signalling -

How?

Reply to
Mark W

=>There's no need, DC contollers have been *state of the art* for at least ten =>years now, whereas decoder technology & functionability seems to be changing =>rapidly still.

True, in that newer decoders are smaller and have more functions built in. But so long as the newer decoder conforms to NMRA specs, it will work, en if your controller can't send all the command signals that the new decoder understands. Decoders are backward compatible in a way that Windows users can only dream of. Hah!

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

=>> IIRC, Roco made a 66 a decade or so ago, offered it in Netherlands colours. =>> Probbaly staurated the market with its first run. =>> =>> Wolf Kirchmeir =>

=>

=>That can't have been a GM-EMD JT42CWR because the real thing hasn't been =>around that long.

Ok, my mistake. But Roco did make an HO model of some English Electric loco that was used both by BR and the the Dutch railways.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:46:49 -0000, Mark W wrote: ...snip prior poster's names................. =>> > However, using a block method on the model doesn't allow detection of =>> > rolling stock. =>>

=>> Using block detection does. DCC doesn't unless you use block detection. =>

=>How?

DCC will accept any input from any detection system, so long as the input is on/off and of the proper voltage. Rigging optical or magnetic reed detectors to "see" rolling stpock is child's play. Keep in mind, also, that you can impress a DC voltage on the track, and the DCC will ignore it, since DCC is based on packet switching. You can install (or keep) your old DC block detection modules. Isolation via chokes/filters will be necessary, and if done properly will retain the blocks for the DC even while DCC sees the whole as single unbroken circuit. IOW, one of the key advantages of DCC is that it permits several control schemes to be used at the same time for different purposes, without interference, and with data exchange if desired.

Since DCC controls modules via software, it's relatively easy to use software to set up interlocking etc. In fact, the first such programs are already on offer, mostly freeware and shareware. NB that "accessory" decoders typically control 4 or 8 devices, so their per device cost is relatively low - competitive with relays and transistorised detection units and such, in fact.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

=>On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:57:40 -0000, "John Turner" => wrote: =>

=>John, =>

=>>7mm to 1 foot - another bastard scale, but one which =>>pedants seem willing to leave well alone) =>

=>What about Scale7? :-) =>

=>And, of course, whatever gauge you choose for F/S - starting at 31mm =>-) =>

=>Jim.

O gauge is IMO an even worse mess than HO vs OO. At least HO is the same evreywhere, and UK OO is the same too (ignoring EM and P4). But O "scale" exists in three major commercial/continental variations: 1:48 in the N. America, 1:45 in Europe, and 1:43 in the UK. Of these 1:45 is the true scale, the track gauge being "wrong" by only 0.1mm, or 0.3%, well within the variation allowed by real railroads. Then there are "true scale" variations in the UK and the USA, where both adaption of scale to track and of track to scale exists. Bah!

Oh well, the G gauge crowd have the right idea - just run whatever you like on your 45mm gauge track - it's your layout!

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Indeed, yes. That was the English Electric shunter. Closest to a BR Class 11, but passable as a Class 08 or 09. Roco are re-releasing the model with a digital socket next Summer.

Martin

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Reply to
Martin Wykes

=>Indeed, yes. That was the English Electric shunter. Closest to a BR =>Class 11, but passable as a Class 08 or 09. Roco are re-releasing the =>model with a digital socket next Summer. =>

=>Martin

Thanks.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I actually wanted to know how analogue block detection was able to detect unpowered rolling stock.

Reply to
Mark W

I was refering to the socket and plug for installing decoders in locos.

I've written to Lenz, NCE and MR about decoders to suit DC operation, but received no response - oh well, obviously they're still busy with DCC production.

Regards, Greg.P. Takaka, NZ.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Absolutely!

The few chips I do have have limited addressing, limited speed steps, single light circuit, no inertia and no feed-back.

My layout is worked on the block principle with signalling and with major hidden sidings - DCC would add the advantages of constant lighting and simple double heading, but would add the complexity of individual control of trains on hidden blocks. (Oh, and huge expense!)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

15k ohm resistors across wheel sets - current detectors on track feeds. It's much the same circuitry with either DC or DCC.
Reply to
Gregory Procter

Where do you get these accessory decoders at relatively low cost? I have been searching for them and have so far only found damn expensives ones! Relays at 79p!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Either through coach lighting or by adding a 15k ohm resistor across one axle of each wagon etc. From there, you need a pair of diodes in the section feed wire and a electronic detector to detect the 0.7 volts across the diode. My first effort (1978) used a simple low wattage bulb across the section on/off switch, which would light up fully for a loco, lower brightness for coaches and ignore wagons.

Regards, Greg.P. Takaka. NZ.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , Wolf Kirchmeir writes

Actually, Wolf, the OO gauge crowd have it right as well. We run what we like on our 16.5 mm gauge track - it's our layout.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"Mark Newton" wrote

Have I got it wrong then? I have one kicking around somewhere in a sort of crimson livery with a yellow band. Is that not NSW?

John.

Reply to
John Turner