DCC is the future

"John Sullivan" wrote

Well said that man - just out of interest John, do you want these guys imposing HO-scale on you? :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

No, thanks.

What will happen to all the moulds, etc. for the 4mm stock if that were to happen? I would suggest then that someone might consider bringing out

4mm models to 18.2 mm gauge. Then in my case I'd just buy the 4mm models and push the wheels closer together.
Reply to
John Sullivan

So it's like National Rail on a weekend? Oh, *cables*.

and connect from this

What, RM isn't at the bleeding edge of technology? I'm shocked. :-)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

circulation

While agreeing with some of what you say; those of us on a budget just can't afford to throw away old junk. With the price of new model locos circa £50 to £100 for mass produced stuff, chucking out an old loco that could be remotored or fettled to get it going is very attractive.

Yes I would like to go over to HO and a nice electronic control system but I simply can't afford it.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

No, John, you have not got it wrong, the manufacturer of the model has. As you state, one of our diesel liveries here was tuscan red with yellow stripes/bands.

But the NSWGR never had anything like the EE shunters being discussed. Our only rod-coupled diesels were the 70 class, which were a locally designed and built diesel-hydraulic unit.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Isn't there a H0 Class 66 kit produced by DJH??

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Oops! Must read all messages before replying...........

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

All you need is level track.............

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

=>I actually wanted to know how analogue block detection was able to detect =>unpowered rolling stock.

You need metal wheels; paint some resistance paint across the insulation. The trickle current can be detected and amplified by a transistorised unit. Linn Westcott devised one many years ago, and called it the Twin-T bec. it used two transistors.

The other methods are magnetic reed switches, optical detectors, contacts depressed by wheels passing over them (a method used back in the 30s IIRC), and so on.

HTH

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Hey! We HO guys just want the odd British prototype train to run on our HO layouts, not some odd imposed scale with the wrong gauge! ;-)

Regards, Greg.P. Takaka, NZ.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

In message , Mick Bryan writes

Just like all the track on the prototype is completely level, of course.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Wolf Kirchmeir writes

These only detect "train in section" and do not detect "train out of section".

Reply to
John Sullivan

"John Turner" wrote Have I got it wrong then? crimson livery with a yellow band. Is that not NSW?

John.

John, That's EWS mate! Surely you get the wild beasts in Hull? :-)

Talk soon, only just got around to using the second of three decoders you sold me ages ago!

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sollis CVMRD

=>In message , =>Wolf Kirchmeir writes =>>The other methods are magnetic reed switches, optical detectors, contacts =>>depressed by wheels passing over them (a method used back in the 30s IIRC), =>>and so on. =>

=>These only detect "train in section" and do not detect "train out of =>section".

You use two detectors, one at each end of section... In some cases, train netering section B == train leaving section A. W/ a little ingenuity, you can even count the cars...

HTH

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I had a layout like that in about 1964 - 8'x4' plywood on a sturdy frame built by my Grand-dad.

Regards, Greg.P. Takaka, NZ.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Andrew Sollis CVMRD" wrote

Not when the models to which I refer were produced for the Australian market Andy. :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Back in 1978, I computerised control of my layout, (Maerklin type stud contact) a mainline station with the ends looping around to join a staging yard beneath the station. (one end included a hidden reverse loop, but that's not relevant)

The computer received and despatched trains from the staging yard, very much like a European automatic signal/relay system with contact tracks. The staging yard had the bulbs across relay switches for block detection in conjunction with running rail detection. (This gave me information as to whether the parked train was a loco/loco + passenger/loco + goods) At each end of the station was a passing detector which informed the computer of a train entering/leaving it's control. That required basic logic - train sent from h/s by computer = train no longer in computer area - train not sent by computer = train entering computer control - conflict = cut traction current. What could go wrong?

One evening, a friend brought around his latest/most expensive/most loved purchase. The station was crowded, so while I climbed under the layout to switch on, he carefully placed his prized loco on the main line and stood to admire it :-) Power on, computer begins churning (1978 - make a cup of tea ....) We both admired the wonderful moulded on detail ... panel lights flash ... computer reads sequence and despatches express/friend's loco accelerates downhill into spiral tunnel (traction current set to "uphill" voltage), around the loop, out of the tunnel onto the short scenic section leading to the staging yard tunnel mouth while the express emerged from the staging yard accelerating to full speed.

It was that moment that I realized the subtle difference between passing detection and track detection!

Luckily, Maerklin locos of that era were made for chipping concrete so my friend eventually forgave me.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

=>computer reads sequence =>and despatches express/friend's loco accelerates downhill into spiral tunnel =>(traction current set to "uphill" voltage), around the loop, out of the tunnel =>onto the short scenic section leading to the staging yard tunnel mouth while the =>express emerged from the staging yard accelerating to full speed. =>

=>It was that moment that I realized the subtle difference between passing detection =>and track detection! =>

=>Luckily, Maerklin locos of that era were made for chipping concrete so my friend =>eventually forgave me.

And did he ever forgive Marklin for wiring the loco backwards????

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

No it isn't. Loco entering B = loco leaving A, but with a long train, the brake van could be in B (or even C) when the loco is in A.

Train out of section occurs when there is both nothing to detect and nothing is detected.

All that tells you is that you have a difference, which might come from dropping some empties and picking up a different number of loaded wagons.

Reply to
John Sullivan

The photo I came across was not taken from an angle which showed the running gear clearly.

Just curious if the 5ft 3" gauge was able to be accommodated within the outside frames of the std version, or were the wheels moved outside. If the latter then the version offered by Hornby would more be accurate for the VR version in that respect than it is for the domestic one. G.Harman .

Reply to
g.harman