FA: LAST DAY! British railway videos for sale on eBay

Paypal fees are only 3.4% + 20p for items up to =A31500. We're talking about low cost items here so it's hardly a large amount.

For the same reason you pay the same in the shops whether you pay by cash or credit card.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

And that reason is?

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

wrote

Not always the case. We offer a larger discount on certaon product lines to people who pash by cash or debit card.

I know other retailers do similar deals.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I was referring to the general case. You can always try and negotiate a discount, whatever the method of payment, but the initial request is virtually always for the same amount.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That the seller requires you to. If you don't like it then you can either walk away or try and negotiate.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" writes

Actually, IIRC, it was the credit card companies that required retailers to charge the same for goods bought by credit card and goods bought for cash. I think there was a later court case that said that this was illegal.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Yes. As I've stated many times the mail order business is strictly a sideline and if the government paid me a decent living wage I wouldn't bother with it. If you think that's unusual, a Jouef Class 40 I bought on eBay was sold to me by a sizeable mail-order business run by an army medic based in Colchester.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

If you think that's unusual, a Soviet-made nuclear missile I bought through Exchange & Mart was sold to me by the supply sergeant of a Russian Army rocket regiment based outside Moscow....

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I think it was the other way round ... the laws relating to the provision of credit prevent the card issuing companies, the card processors, and the merchants (shops) from *making a charge to the consumer* for use of the card in a transaction. The court case was in respect of a merchant who operated differential pricing, and he was fined. It was after this that the card processors made it a specific condition of the contract with the merchant that he will not charge a different price when a card is used.

It was also after this that notices saying "no cards for purchases under £10" started appearing.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

psychiatrist?

strictly a

wouldn't

That would be funny if it wasn't so pursuable!....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It certainly is. If I hadn't become a psychiatrist I could have done something useful with my life :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Hmmm, was this a recent thing then ? Certainly the last time I booked a package holiday through a High St travel agent (couple of years ago, maybe ?), I had to pay a 2.5% 'handling fee' because I paid the deposit by Visa.

Martyn

Reply to
M Roberts

Actually, the celebrated case was about 20-30 years ago. I don't claim to be an expert in this field, and legally things could have changed. However, I'm pretty sure that the card processor agreements remain as they were. Not many retailers will be paying 2.5% to their processors - only vendors of high-risk goods like jewellery. And a Visa debit card (such as I use) will only incur a fixed fee of between 10p and 25p to the vendor, not matter how large the transaction. Not to mention that cash banking fees to the retailer are huge, plus insurance for cash on premises, risks of robbery, additional accounting and security issues, lack of traceability, etc. etc. And that is all before I charge the vendor for *my* risks in carting a wodge of cash around the High Street.

To be honest, if a retailer wanted to charge me a *handling fee* for using a card, first I'd laugh, then I would speak to my card issuer, then I would head for Trading Standards.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"Steve W" wrote

Not so, the law was changed three or four years ago making it illegal for the credit card companies to insist that a retailer had to make the same deal for a card transaction as for cash or any other form of payment.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thank you John, that'll save me a wasted trip to Trading Standards, then!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I wonder if this applies to internet auctions?

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

wrote

It's certainly a complex issue with eBay as the UK operation is Swiss based.

John.

Reply to
John Turner