GM Wars

I am sure I am not the only N gauge modeller that is fascinated with the prospect of both Graham Farish and Dapol releasing models of the ubiquitous class 66 within such a short space of time. In some ways I am a little disappointed that two "N" manufactures have produced models of the same prototype, instead of filling some of the larger gaps in motive power and rolling stock in this scale. I for one would really like to see more multiple units produced, especially those in the seldom-modelled southern region.

However, judging by the photos / reviews I have seen of the Dapol model and the recent pre-production samples of the Farish offering, I have to say that when the time comes to open my wallet, its going to be a very tough choice indeed. I wonder how other people are going to decide? Have Dapol really got themselves an advantage by beating Farish to the market (if only by a few weeks)? Will you be seduced by the idea of having one of a run of only 250 of each loco number?

Judging by the fact that I have already seen examples of Dapol 66's at prices much lower than their RRP, I suspect its going to be the quality of Farish's HTA wagons that sway it for me. If these wagons do justice to the Farish 66 intended to haul them (there can be no doubt that the photos I have seen of the pre-production samples are very encouraging indeed) at a reasonable price, I may well buy both loco and rake together at the same time.

Now where is my piggy bank?

Reply to
HST's friend

If you are in the N Gauge Soc take a look at the back of the recent Journal - Pre-printed kits, someone had a small production line going. BH Enterprises do a lot of N multiple unit kits.

RTR would be nice though, but I'd want the more offbeat examples to suit by 'branchline to nowhere in particular' tastes. The SR converted some LCDR four wheelers (actually modified six wheelers) for use as driving trailers and intermediate cars for EMUs.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have become very disillusioned with their total (for me over a period of two years) lack of communication. They never answer the phone, they never answer email queries. They haven't noticably updated their website in years - I understand the class 74 kit is still out of production but listed as available.

It is a shame coz they have lots of bits that I want, but you simply can't tell from their website (no pics of stuff) that you are ordering the right thing.

*sigh*
Reply to
unclewobbly

On 26/11/2005 21:30, snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com said,

I was just thinking earlier on tonight about how many model railway suppliers don't bother responding to emails, and now it seems there's another. I don't understand why they publicise a means of communication that they then ignore. I'm not just talking about those cottage industry types who supply parts almost as a hobby, but those who rely on it for their primary income. I'm also not talking about not getting an immediate response - for a small supplier I would have thought a response within a week would be achievable, and acceptable.

If these people ignore their emails, I would much rather they didn't publicise an email address at all.

I was going to suggest that anyone who relies on customers for their money wouldn't ignore the phone, so why ignore email, but from what you've said it seems as if BH ignore the phone as well!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I produce a range of pre-printed conversion kits for SR EMUs in N, such as the CIG, VEP and CEP in a variety of liveries. These are bodyside-sized waterslides that are designed to fit over GF Mk1s.

Full details at:

Best regards, Adam Warr

Reply to
adam.warr

yep agree... a week to respond is reasonable - most of the suppliers I have used recently are usually on the case less than 24 hours. Electra, Worsley, Fox... award yourselves a pat on the back. Worth mentioning taht all enquiries to the above mentioned resulted in sales and the only means of communication was email.

Reply to
unclewobbly

Thanks for that Adam - I was trying to find where the chap in this months N Gauge Journal had sourced his stuff, you had slipped my mind.

Mike

Reply to
Mike