n gauge

I am thinking of setting up a smallish "N" gauge layout, and as I have 2 DCC sets I thought I would use one of them to control it. Now my problem, does anyone produce RTR locomotives (BR) with DCC decoders installed. I have had enough trouble installing decoders into 00 RTR stock to realise that in "N" it must be a nightmare.

I am looking for a small shunter (0-6-0 tank, or 03, 04, 08 diesel) and maybe a 0-4-2 tank or maybe even a standard 4MT tank.

Are these available? If so from whom?

Can anyone recommend anyone who does DCC decoder fitting in N gauge?

Thanks in anticipation,

Eddie.

Reply to
Eddie Bray

"Eddie Bray" wrote

The simple answer is no, but there are USA outline diesels produced with DCC chips installed.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

No tank engines but Peco are planning to produce a Collett Goods 0-6-0 tender engine

- about halfway down the page). Good-looking but expensive- =A3140 has been quoted.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

What tosh!!

Fleischmann do loads of DDC chiped locos in 'N' and thier better than all the British ready to run anyday

Look at the Piccolo range of Locos They even do Sound chipped ones too!!! And they're brilliant!!!

No tank engines but Peco are planning to produce a Collett Goods 0-6-0 tender engine

- about halfway down the page). Good-looking but expensive- £140 has been quoted.

Andy

Reply to
Nick Beard

Of course you must like German or Swiss outline!!

No tank engines but Peco are planning to produce a Collett Goods 0-6-0 tender engine

- about halfway down the page). Good-looking but expensive- £140 has been quoted.

Andy

Reply to
Nick Beard

In message , Nick Beard writes

Are these brilliant locos British outline, by any strange chance?

I thought not. It doesn't matter how brilliant they may be, if they're not British outline they are no good for modelling a British layout.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Don't Dapol do a 14xx 0-4-2 tank and autocoach? Given that you rarely saw one without the other, it might be possible to fit the decoder in the autocoach.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

The OP asked about British outline locos which were ready fitted with a decoder. The ones you mention are not even 'DCC ready' let alone decoder fitted.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "Nick Beard" contains these words:

When they produce a decent-looking Black Five or Crab, then they'll be worth a look. Until then, unfortunately, they're useless because I don't need Continental outline locos or stock...

Reply to
David Jackson

"John Turner" wrote

The OP also asked about DCC fitting. Something that is not required with locos that are already DCC fitted! Thus he must be considering locos that could be converted by someone else perhaps.

Not seen inside a Dreadphol 14xx so I can't comment on pickup isolation/chassis milling etc., however if there is not enough room for an N/Z decoder in the loco then housing it in the autocoach is a sensible suggestion. Though beware 'stiff' decoder wires (relatively thick insulation?) betwix loco and stock which can help derail a featherlite N coach on the way thru points and esses...

~Fil Downs

Reply to
Fil Downs

While it won't help with availability of steamers, Alan Cox maintains a list of all currently available RTR and kit diesel and electric locos in N gauge:-

The class 8 has been available from Farish. It's been announced by Farish for release/re-release this year but whether it's a new tooling or a re-issue of the old Farish tooling with the higher quality paint finish that the Chinese have been doing I don't know. Farish have also announced that they're planning to release a class 4 this year. Should be available in the shops around the summer (of 2010).

There are also whispers that Dapol may be releasing a class 3 but these may well be Chinese whispers.

MRN

Reply to
Model Railway Nut