DCC for N

Does anyone know if there are DCC modules small enough to fit in *any* N Gauge loco... I appreciate this is a very broad swweping statement as the sizes vary greatly, but nythin is a good place to start. With space at a premium inside N gauge stuff, I was wondering if there was mileage in putting a dcc unit in the first coach of a semi-permanently copuled rake...

What do you think?

Reply to
UncleWobbly

Well, there's a reason that Digitrax makes decoders with DZxxx designations... they're sized for _Z_ scale.

I'm in an N-Trak group in the USA... digital is all over N-Trak, in fact the upcoming N-Trak convention this August in Chantilly, Virginia (just outside Washington, DC) will have an approximately 500 module layout... and the continuous Red line around the whole thing will probably be DCC. Both Lenz and Digitrax make hardwired decoders that fit quite well in N scale locomotives, and also make "drop in" decoders to fit the Kato and Atlas modern diesels.

I've installed decoders myself in locomotives as small as a Lifelike SW9 (a small 4 axle switcher) , and a Tomix Thomas the Tank Engine. N scale DCC isn't just possible, it makes N scale a real _operations_ scale. There's probably no reason to install the decoder in a coach unless you're working with _VERY_ tiny steamers or industrial switchers. (see links at

, click on "Links" in the left menu, then "DCC Links")

Yes, you may have to do some minor frame modifications. If you have access to a milling machine or drill press you should be able to do them VERY easily... but most folks can get by with nothing more than machinists files, a jewelers saw, and/or a small hand grinder (Dremel or similar).

Don't hesitate to get into N scale DCC... I've been doing it for several years, and there's no WAY I would go back!

Reply to
Joe Ellis

"UncleWobbly" wrote

Lenz do some decoders suitable for N-scale locos. If you can't locate them locally give me a call.

John.

John Turner

The smallest DCC-decoder that I know of, CT Elektronik DCX74, is only 13 x 9 x 1,5 mm. I have been told that it can be fitted into a N scale Arnold Köf shunting tractor.

Erik Olsen

Enough space in most things if you think about it and are prepared to hack chassis a little for clearance.

But, there isn't much "plug ready", and what is will be European or US outline.

Farish stuff needs a small modification to insulate the brush gear from the chassis block. I think someone does a kit for this.

Reply to
NC