H & M cut outs

My Safety Minor cuts out on low consumption on 16v AC

The second controller doesn't pull that much, any ideas what to look at?

Reply to
Xbase++

In message , Xbase++ writes

The overload cut-outs on older H&M units are thermally operated and may suffer from old age.

The cut-out can be adjusted if you open up the unit by drilling out the rivets and replacing them with self-tapping screws for re-assembly.

When you are inside have a good look at the condition of the wiring - if it appears to have suffered from overheating, it may be advisable to replace rather than repair.

Reply to
Bill Campbell

Don't do that - you'll invalidate the guarantee! ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

Aghh only 35 years old as well

Reply to
Xbase++

New Safety Minors - where from?

Reply to
Xbase++

Phil: Can't recall for certain (Years since I used one - I still have and use a DC60 though) - but the 16Vac MAY NOT be isolated from the 12Vdc supply? and therefore NOT suitable for use as a 2nd cab controller, IFF a common return rail (ie single pole switching) is used, and nor double pole????

Reply to
Phil

I feel sorry for H&M - they quietly sit there producing excellent quality products and suddenly, out of the blue they get complaints that their 1953 product doesn't have the same features as their 1959 and 2003 products! ;-) In the meantime, Bachmann have just rolled out their 2 billionth plastic transformer/controller, each with a design lifespan of seven full 0-12-0 voltage control movements.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

.I feel sorry for H&M - they quietly sit there producing excellent quality

Mine is late 60s

Reply to
Xbase++

With main off!

Also if Commander cuts main controller still works

I think I'll drill the rivits this wekend and have a look

Also H&M tend to isolate everything

Reply to
Xbase++

Your Bachmann controller hasn't completed it's seven full 0-12-0 volt cycles since the 1960s???

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I'm sure I've got more than 7 photos of 0-12-0s, taken in 1975... ;-)

Hmm.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Thailand?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Austria. Rack tanks on the Eisenerz, if I've spelt that right.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Are they still running - gotta go buy tickets! :^)))

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Done that now

Percy doesn't overload nor does an HST, 24081, but a old Triang 040T does still - will readjust again tomorrow

It is in excellent condition - I might nick it back off the twins!

Reply to
Xbase++