Hmmm - Interesting site

Looking for something else I stumbled across the linked site below. That was several hours ago.

Interesting on several levels

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Far too many long words for this philistine :(

Reply to
sutartsorric

By way of contrast to the above opinion, that site and various things it links to have stolen my evening. Thankyou, perhaps!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Part 3 Model modernity and nostalgia

" The author can see nothing beautiful about models of collieries, grain elevators, docks, cranes, roadways with tram-cars etc., and in sort, everything imaginable of an industrial nature =85 It is, therefore, advocated that the railway enthusiast should concentrate on his railway and not be distracted by other forms of industry. In other words, make the railway picturesque and reproduce nature rather than works or factories "

Sorry but can't agree with that. Many real loco's may never have left that sort of setting once delivered from the works.

Chris

Reply to
chris.brett58

" The author can see nothing beautiful about models of collieries, grain elevators, docks, cranes, roadways with tram-cars etc., and in sort, everything imaginable of an industrial nature ? It is, therefore, advocated that the railway enthusiast should concentrate on his railway and not be distracted by other forms of industry. In other words, make the railway picturesque and reproduce nature rather than works or factories "

Sorry but can't agree with that. Many real loco's may never have left that sort of setting once delivered from the works.

Chris

Agree - Also I happen to like modelling industrial areas.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Me too and as without these industries large parts of the rail network would never have been profitable and may not have even been built in the first place, it is a ridiculously romanticised view of the railways.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X