Hornby GWR 4-6-0 locos.

Having been very happy with my two Ringfield Castles and two 5 pole Granges I decided to expand the range and obtain two Kings and whilst at it a copy of the R2662 Hogwarts Castle. This later destined to become 100A1 Lloyds as an Oil Burner and of course GWR as it didn't make it to BR (I don't think). I was first surprised that it was a DCC 5 pole unit with the adhesion of a slippery pole but it ran OK so into its metamorphis it went.

The result was good (for me) except for the towing ability on my 1:40 hills. Being short of a tender for one of the Kings I decided to buy in a damaged ringfield Castle. This being a 7000 series it had the Collet tender which suited and the chassis went into the Lloyds body together with some added ballast. What a difference!

Turning to the Kings which also could slip with more than 4 up I found that by hacking at the internal space aft of the smoke box I could fit the boiler load from Cadbury Castle ( less that which went into Lloyds);Voil=E0! A king as good as a Castle!

All I have to do now is find a lump to put into the other King.

I suppose that all the 5 pole Castles share this slipping feature or do they have decent boiler space ballast?

It is nice to have a King that can haul my 8 car Cornish Riviera.

Next on the list are the un-rebuilt West Countries who share the same problem

Regards

Reply to
Sailor

Having done some more research I discover that the only 5 pole Castle is the Hogworts DCC version! ( I did not realise that there were 3 versions of this loco).

Regards

Reply to
Sailor