Hornby Newbie Post 2

Ladies & Gentlemen, you are railway modellers - and I am trying to model a railway.
Is there anyone out there, without black shades, and a number plate styled 'Hor(b)ny 1' - and huge speakers booming out
'Let me, eeeee, de-rail you' who can answer my newbie questions posted earlier?
Cheers
Ladies & Gentlemen, you are railway modellers - and I am trying to model a railway.

pretty unhelpful.
So read the one from Martin S who gave you a helpful, comprehensive, answer. The rest are telling you that you need to post in plain text. If you want more help it would be sensible to comply.

'Hor(b)ny 1' - and huge speakers booming out
That's it; insult the people who can help you (again).
:-\

earlier?
Martin S, and he already has.
-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

answer.
styled
I wouldn't say most of the replies were insulting at all. I think you (Shooter) have an inaccurate view of how the internet is...I imagine therefore that you are either a) not in any way experienced with the internet, or b) are experienced and are trying to force your etiquette onto the existing community.
Either way, the user community isn't going to change to an incredibly polite view just because you expect it to. I believe you will need to modify your world view just a tad...
Ian J.
I refer you to my earlier, appreciative response, to Martin S, posted below.
Please read your posts.

answer.
styled

Actually, we're a sub-set of railway modellers who have access to the webby thing. You will have realised it's a world wide unregulated group, and some members (especially the colonials and ex-colonials) are a bit hot on the netiquette aspects. I've been given a kick up the backside as well - grin and bear it. Also there is a lot of black humour in the group. Your typo was always going to get that response, just a matter of who got in first.
Sorry, can't help your request - now if it were the London & South Western Railway, carriages and wagons prior to 1960 or 'O' gauge, I would be delighted to respond.
--
John Bishop

Thanks John
writes

Shooter
Don't let 'em wear you down. Try not to drop to their level. Many newbies have had the same appalling response you have had and left. The suggestion to use text is a good one but the method of getting the message across was poor. Just remember that much of this group seem to have failed to grasp basic politeness.
Many don't bother with this group anymore. I don't. Just visited on the off chance that I might find some info and came across the usual suspects up to their old tricks instead. No surprise there then!
writes

up
In the nicest possible way, John, your timing was impeccable! It's a shame people decide to unsubscribe from these newsgroups after being, rightly or wrongly, criticised for "breaking" the Usenet guidelines, rather than merely observing the messages, as I'm sure you would still pick up something useful from the group.
Cheers, John.

newbies
suggestion
up
How surprising.
One contentious poster draws out another.
Could they, by any chance, be related?
-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"
Not at all Brian. But your email does betray a certain degree of paranoia. The sort of paranoia that scares most people off in the first place.

Not at all Brian. Just an honest opinion on a significant minority in these newsgroups. Shooter started out as so many newbies do with an innocent question and made a couple of "errors" the correction of which could have been handled better. It wasn't, which got Shooter's back up and let to this rather sorry mess which is frankly indefensible as are some of Shooter's later comments.
As John Lancaster pointed out, there is often something to be gained from these newsgroups if you have the time to read them. But incidences of the Shooter variety are sadly an all to common occurrence which frightens people off making us all the poorer for we all have something to contribute.
"John Smith" <

these
this
My only comments to "Shooter" were polite.
His only replies to me were rude.
He reaps what he sows.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
Before I sign off John -
Most of the posts I've received are from people displaying their own website addresses with full URLs - there are significant advantages to doing this, as the search engines pick them up - particularly Google.
They are using this newsgroup to surreptitiously advertise.
Most newsgroups weed out this kind of thing.
With every complaint they make, they get another mention.
I've had a couple of helpful posts, and I'm grateful for these - but I'm afraid this newsgroup is being trolled quite heavily - not by up-front people like me - but by more subtle movers.
Kind regards
Nick Allen
writes

writes

website
Actually there's nothing surreptitious about it. Each group has it's own charter, generally agreed when the group is first created and then occasionally tweaked. This group's charter allows advertising, simple as that.
Cheers Clive

I'm certainly not removing the URL from my sig, no matter how much Shooter gets upset, and it that makes me a "shamless tart"[sic] in his words, then so be it...
-- *** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ *** Updated 05 October, now 554 images online. Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

so
Lol - go for it Rich! This group needs all the "shameless tarts" it can get :^)
Cheers Clive

own
as
Shooter
then
Oooh so THAT's what he was calling me... it was hard to discern from the random rambling ranting.
-- *** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ *** Updated 05 October, now 554 images online. That URL again, it's http://www.railwayscene.co.uk / 554, yes 554 (count 'em!) images now online! (C) 2003 Sham(e)less Tart Productions Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

website
You said it - sod off, troll.
Classic behaviour; boot in, trampling over reasonable etiquette, protest when the regulars point out the error of your ways, point out potential area of contention applying to other subscribers...
*plonk*
-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

website
I'm sorry Mr Shooter, but I've just read all the posts in this and your original thread, and have to conclude that your response to a reasonable request to conform to normal usenet practice was both unreasonable and counterproductive. I'm a relative newby here. I have made the mistake of posting in HTML and top-posting. I understand why it upsets people, so I don't do it. Since then, I've had lots of help from the people here and hopefully given a little back where I could. You are more likely to get helpful advice if you ask nicely and accept valid critisism when it comes.
Oh, and if people want to put URLs in their sig files, that's up to them. If you don't want to look at their sites, you don't have to click on them.
Adrian
There's no need to keep responding to this troll. He's wrought his damage and left. Let's get back on topic.
--
Martin S.

Most of the posts I've received are from people displaying their own website

And what's wrong with that? I've been using the Net and this group for over 5 years, and I never knew google picked up my web address (Would explaine the spam hunk I get though)
Whats wrong with advertising your work? It's not making me a profit! -- Andy Sollis Churnet Valley Model Railway Department (Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply) http://www.cvmrd.freeserve.co.uk http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk