Hornby Steam Photos

Found on the US newsgroup of all places

Rob K

Neat! I assume those "organ pipes" are the whistle.

Too bad the front drivers are de-railed.

Reply to
MartinS

In message , Rob K writes

Yuck. I thought flangeless driving wheels were a thing of the past. And that third picture seems to show the loco partly off the rails.

Reply to
John Sullivan

odd (but serious) question, why the electric motor ? in case it runs out of steam ??

Reply to
Drac

I don't think it has to run like that John, I think someone didn't look properly when setting up the loco for the picture.

Reply to
Fil Downs

I think you find it is to operate the reverser.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

ahhh yes, thanks for that Martin.

Reply to
Drac

Someone on the US newsgroup was speculating that the motor drove the valve gear. This makes a lot of sense.... speed control is hard to acheive on small scale steam. But, if you have an electric motor with smooth throttle response driving the steam valves... well, it makes sense to me that this could lead to good things and make small scale steam practical.

The photo has the motor driving a worm. One could imagine a single worm wheel drilled with suitable porting....

-dave

Reply to
Dave Curtis