How much does a Greek Urn?

... not a lot.

On a more serious note I'm looking for a couple of 4mm scale "statues" to make decorative tops to a pair of bridge pillars ideally are pair of the following: classical Greek Urns, figure of Britannia, two of the virtues or Lions sat on their bums, the foot print of the statues to be around the 1/4 inch size.

I?m no good at modelling animals which is by the by as I don?t have any casting kit at the moment, necessary to have identical models and I really don?t want to spend yonks making two figure statues that will only be used the once.

I?ve looked at the Langley Models site but I could spend all night there and still not find anything I wondered if the group could suggest anything?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Try Scalelink.co.uk who list numerous figure makers, such as Preiser, Pheonix, etc.. You might find something suitable within them ?

4-D modelshop, London, do architectural model making decorative things, might find something. They list a 37mm high Roman Urn - MX10016 - but no pictures.

Britains used to make model zoo animals, a quick Ebay search came up with number 180070194359 & 180070194337, and several similar items. I cannot remember which type of plastic is used, but expect it can be carved/modified. From what I remember of the size (I had some as a child), expect to cut away most of the body for just the heads.

Next would be the dolls house enthusiasts; something for a dolls garden scene may include columns/decorations for walls/gates which could be hacked to suit.

Random ideas: something for end of a curtain rail (probably too big), Christmas baubles/scenes, cake decorating details (should get doric columns with no problem !).

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote in news:fgmpsn$ih6$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk: ...

Dolls house shop sounds good ... I have one within 24.8 seconds (trying for finescale ) walking from my new office. The Urns are two tall - just, but I'll have a root around on their site.

Thanks for the pointers.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

Sounds daft, but try somewhere that sells cake decorations. Wedding cakes, that sort of thing. All sorts of columns and stuff, which may be useful, in sizes to suit most scales.

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk:

No, not daft at all, I'll give it a go if I get no joy at the dolls house shop tomorrow. Cheers.

Reply to
Chris Wilson