Hurrah for local model shops

Oh dear, I just dont know which response or arguement to go for here ! Of course I'm not qualified to disagree, I'm sure that is your opinion. I have a different one though, based on support of the free market, shifting more units, quality of service and the benefits to the end customer - me.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

One does have to thank Peco Publications for providing archive copies of "Railway Modeller" on CD-Rom every year since 2002 and, at what to me, is an acceptable price.

It saves an enormous amount of shelf space. Model Rail provided a similar service for 2004 at an extortionate price but have not made 2005 available citing lack of support and "copyright issues".

Quite 21st century for Peco!

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

On 05/01/2007 20:54, Bruce said,

I have a similar problem (but not quite as remote as you!) when websites or government agencies tell me that Cardiff is only 13 miles away from Weston-super-Mare. A colleague, who was unemployed at the time, actually had a local job centre unwilling to understand why commuting to Cardiff was a problem because their computer said it's 13 miles away. They didn't offer a helicopter or boat...

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 05/01/2007 22:58, David Westerman said,

Except you can't sit on front of the fire, whiskey to hand, cat on your lap, curled up with a CD :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Thanks for your kind offer! We decided to take the easy way out - a standing order to National Lottery each week for the same numbers.

Reply to
Bruce

In message , David Westerman writes

It would be nice if they would work backwards to whenever they started up.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Now that would be a great idea!

I reckon my missus would allow me to buy the entire set if she would no longer be surrounded by magazines!

Reply to
usenet

"simon" wrote

At the end of the day Simon, Hornby (or any other range for that matter) is only a valid product for as long as retailers are prepared to carry the range in stock, and that only happens if it results in profit for the stockist.

We've already told Hornby to stuff Scalextric because it only produces worthwhile business for two or three months each year, and because the market is over-supplied and consequently there is no profit to be made. Sure the customer can get some fantastic deals on Scalextric from eBay and elsewhere at other times of the year, but the net result is that it becomes increasingly difficult to find the product on retailers shelves. If the public can't find their add-ons and spares then pretty soon they will not want to buy the sets from the big multiples and the range could potentially die.

It's now possible to buy Hornby trains in Hull from a camera shop, as well as Marks & Spencers, Toys R Us and other similar 'fringe stockists' who simply cream the profit on the popular items and make it less attractive for the professional retailer to carry an extensive range.

Tell me who loses in the latter situation?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The closure of our local post office contributed greatly to the closure of the nearby model shop although there were other factors. The arrival of a branch of one the big hobby chainstores in the centre of town was one. The city council endlessly digging up the road outside the shop was another.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I reckon quite a lot of people would buy the entire set.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Paul Matthews

Thing about these fringe stockists is they get customers that you wont. Kid+parents go into M&S see the set as theyre passing and think thats a nice idea. Gets them started, so child happy gets playing then wants more, also wants info, nothing in the fringe shops so they come to you. You look after them, theyre with you for life.

Went in to ToyRUs for a bike when his lordship was 4, they had complete range 50 bikes, varying prices. No idea what was good, bad or indifferent and no one to tell us. Went to local toy shop, they had one that was suitable. Could trust them, so knew it was a good one. Not been back to ToysRUs. Got next bike from local toy shop.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Problem with that is, people go to a traditional dealer to ask their advice on what to buy, then go and purchase it from the bucket shop down the road which is 10% cheaper, then go back to the traditional dealer to complain the item they bought from the bucket shop doesn't work properly!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Can you be more specific as to which bit is the problem to which you refer !

Simon

Reply to
simon

I would have thought that was obvious? Consumers take advantage of a traditional dealer's knowledge and experience by picking his brains for advice then deprive him of the income from a sale by placing their order with a clueless but slightly cheaper adversary down the road.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"simon" wrote

On the face of it I agree, but in principle it's not that simple. Sure a proportion of the sets sold in M&S will hit a totally different market, but they are sold an 'exclusive' set which has notional collectors' appeal and which they can sell at way below what we have to pay for similar items.

I know a number of my regular customers have bought these sets and consequently the money they have to spend in my shop is in some cases significantly reduced.

One customer told me he had intended to buy some Hornby Gresley coaches from me, but the deal on the M&S trainset (which includes identical Gresley coaches) was so good that he'd bought the set just to get the coaches, had then sold the (exclusive) loco and got the coaches for well less than half-price.

Note I'll repeat M&S were SELLING these sets for less than we could BUY the nearest equivalent.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

Note I'll repeat M&S were SELLING these sets for less than we could BUY the nearest equivalent.

John.

John, The Argos and "What's in at Asda" catalogues were our best friends - we knew what NOT to buy for the shop window as we knew we would not sell them at the higher price. I concur, they too were sold less that what we paid AB Gee for them...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

Yes, we use the same potential 'market research', but at the end of the day Hornby are producing a totally unlevel playing field simply to get boxes on fringe retailers' shelves, but the real joke is that as 'service dealers' we are expected to sort any problems which occur with these items.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I accept you will lose a few sales but its the bringing in of people that otherwise may not have joined the hobby. This increases the customer base and you will get some of those people into your shop. Gives you the chance of more than balancing out the occasional loss.

Suspect the M&S deal was a special, most trainsets are not that good in terms of quality or price. M&S were working really hard to get people in the door.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Problem is although that does happen it wasnt really applicable to what I was saying.

Simon

Reply to
simon