Hypothetical Question

If one was to stick 2 non DCC controllers into 1 loop and turn both controllers on at the wall outlet but keep one at "0" on the dial but use the other, what would happen to the one that is idle?

Would the current from the active controller feed back into it and damage it, or will it be unaffected as long as it remained at "0".

Thanks.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

that would depend on the type of controller.

very old types with the reostat in them would allow the current into them.

more sophisticated ones with transistors in them may be totally unaffected or may be affected if the other controller is in reverse.

a detailed comparison of the circuits by someone knowledgeable in electronics would give a precise answer.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr

I have a Gaugemaster 4 track non dcc controller (i.e. 4 controllers in one box) and have a Double Pole Double Throw switch which allows me to combine any two of three tracks. I can then control what is on either track using either of the controllers. The only time I get a problem is when one controller is switched to forward and the other to reverse. It does no damage but obviously the train doesn't move. Naturally I normally leave the direction selector for the controller I am not using in the central (off) position but the grey cells don't always kick in. If both controllers are set to the same direction the operating light on the unused controller gets brighter and darker in tamdem with the used controller but in 5 years no harm has been done.

Reply to
Tinkerer

I know I nearly killed myself as when experimenting as a youngster, gathering that transformers would step us well as down I connected some backwards using the AC auxiliary outputs. 240 into the first one and then into the next one from the mains lead into the 2nd's aux input and third respectively. somewhere along the chain around the third one the voltage was around 54000 but the electricity had started to escape by then. Mother came into the room to complain that yet again her TV programme had disappeared in a haze of interference and was horrified to see the arcs emerging from the cables.

I later repeated the experiment using old ignition coils and this was more successful.

G.harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

IIRC it is not a problem if the feeds come from the same transformer as in the 4 track controller described above. Sure someone can explain why.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Other way round I think, but I'm a DCC person. If all controllers are from separate transformers or separate windings and there is no common connection, then you will not get a short.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

No problem with using just one transformer if you always run your trains in one set direction! As soon as any one of the multiple controllers output is reversed you have a short circuit via two rheostats or smoke from transistors.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter