Info on converting a P4 conversion back

Hi folks

I was just told that a loco I bought has been "converted" to P4. I imagine that means the wheels have been replaced and widened or something - spot the novice - Could folks help me understand what is likely to be involved to return this item to OO.

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Replace the wheels. A decent hobby shop can sell you the spares you need.

If the loco has had equalisation added, leave it alone. It much improves tracking and traction.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Could be anything, depends on the loco in question and the person who converted it.

It might just have some replacement wheels. In which case, you need the original ones to put back.

It might have some other modifications, such as the brake gear moved / changed, which may get in the way of refitting the original wheels.

It might have a whole new mechanism. In which case you may or may not be able to fit it with OO wheels, depending on the space available.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

If it's steam and has outside motion, it would be more difficult than just replacing the wheels, although I suppose bringing the steam chest/cylinders and valve gear hangers that 2.23 mm closer together may be easily reversible.

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

Thanks all

Ok it has become patently obvious that this may be a pretty involved job - I am wondering why replacing the wheel and not the wider axles has been the advice. Important to state here to anyone who doesn't already know, that I am a returning hobbyist and had never heard of EMs and P4s until this year. I will Google up some further information so I can approach this more efficiently.

The loco is an old Triang Caledonian Single - no motion

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

mindesign said the following on 05/10/2005 21:54:

Oh 'eck! You don't just pop down to East Kent Models and get spare wheels for that! Axle sizes are likely to be odd as well, I would guess. Personally, I would be mighty glad to have one of those in P4, because it would save me the hassle of converting it from OO :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Hi Paul

I ended up with a Lord of the Isles in P4 not a Caledonian. My error. Same chassis - different bodies. I actually bought it with a view to converting it back, but believe it may not be worth it so if you're after a P4 Lord of the Isles (or Dean Single as it is correctly titled) let me know as I will be on-selling it probably.

Steve

Reply to
mindesign