Is this group dead or what

At the risk of being accused of being a "me too" I have to agree. I asked a couple of what seemed like reasonable questions on the Ffestiniog Railway site and was basically told to shut up/mind my own business. Not very comforting!! So I left

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Whereas if it was the style of underpants on an inch-high soldier, there would be multiple websites discussing the problem.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

I think that might be a specific forum (or subforum) issue. I've seen a fair few MRF threads where I dispair at the replies.

There are vast bits of both which are of no interest to me, and probably amount to the majority traffic on both - 00 RTR items !

Agreed.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

I find Model Rail Forum is a bit of a mess with people posting in the wrong sub forums, especially the Hornby Magazine section. The posts are mostly about anything but the magazine, especially the Ask The Editor section, were everyone but the editor answers the questions that I am surprised why you would want to ask the magazine editor specifically about in the first place. The moderators do nothing to remind people about posting in the right forum section. RMWeb is very tidy in this respect.

Dobbin

Reply to
Dobbin

The more you give people the more they want. In the 1950s we were happy to pay good money for minimally-detailed diecast locos with tinplate coaches and wagons running on 3-rail tinplate track (but not that cheap plastic Tri-Ang stuff).

I wonder what modellers will be complaining about in the 2050s?

Reply to
MartinS

That's why RMWeb has a new post button. And I don't know how many of the 5,000 are active, but it's enough to make the forum worth visting everyday.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

There does seem to be some modellers who behave as if model manufacturers are charities who are all doing us a favour by allowing us to buy their products and they think that we must not point out that their models have serious errors or else they will switch to making ping pong balls.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

I tried that and got 40 pages of new posts. How do you mark everything as read so that I can start from somewhere realistic?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Click on Mark Forums Read

Reply to
Dobbin

OK - I click on "View new posts" and get 40 pages of new posts with "more than 1000 matches". Where is this "Mark forums read" button or link? I am logged in.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Ah - found it. It isn't in the "New posts" bit which is where I would expect it to be.

Email and usenet forums are so much easier, or am I just getting old?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Paul,

If you log in and log out every time you visit then the "New Posts" will only give the messages which have appeared since your last visit. With the previous version of the software, you didn't need to log out to get the "New Posts" to give only the most recent posts.. I've tried messing about with all the cookie settings on the present version but can't find a setting which would emulate the previous version of the software. This was reported when the new version of software was installed but there has been no apparent move to change things.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I agree. I got thrown out of RMWeb for correcting the views of one of the moderator's mates. The fact that I am an acknowledged expert in the area concerned cut no ice. I had to retract my staememt (which was the truth) and apologise or out I went. RMWeb is not for serious enthusiasts.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Sentiments with which I totally agree, RMWeb and NRM are a complete waste of space.

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Letter in latest model rail issue.... First he complains that 7 out of 8 recent purchases were duff but of those,

4 were of same model that had a design fault and 2 of the others (again of the same model) had loco to tender connection too long so fouled on tracks. To me that 7 out of 8 is meaningless. However he sent back the two with the overlong cable - of course thats his right, but makes me agree with Paul on the question of what happened .... So heres the competition, whats the least 'error' that has given rise to a return ? May be one youve sent back yourself, received or have nth knowledge of...

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Theres an art to criticizing a model in a review that was wonderfully demonstrated by MW in the june issue of hornby magazine ... "....what we have is a well-made model (albeit with some caveats) of an unusual prototype ..... it has got its bad points, but there are lots of good points too and the bad do not outway the good, as this is a good model, but one which isn't quite perfect in every respect."

Following which the fence collapsed in confusion.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Sorry to hear that Alistair. I saw something similar recently and it put me off the whole idea of registering with RMWeb. The arrogance of the moderator concerned was unbelievable.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

How about, "The colours on the London-Midland Class 170 are absolutely correct, but not necessarily in the right places"? {With apologies to Eric Morcambe)

Kim

Reply to
kim

Can you see the join?

Reply to
MartinS

Err, now you've got me worried! That sentiment has been expressed before!

Reply to
Greg.Procter