Craftsman kit question

Am building the LMS 1F from Craftsman kit, tried my preferred combination of motor and gears but they dont fit easily. Instructions recommend Romford gear set with Anchorage D11 which may not be available any more. Can anyone suggest a mashima equivalent - there are screw fittings (should be on base of motor) for a supplied mounting plate. Alternately a mashima and gearbox ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

THe comet models website has dimensions, mounting hole details for Mashima motors so it may help in choosing an alternative. One of their gearboxes may be suitable.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'd fit a more modern motor-gearbox arrangement which can conceal the gearbox/motor through the firebox and boiler. Consider products from Branchlines, ExactoScale, HighLevel, etc.. Personally, I'd start with High Level, and if one of their products didn't fit, move onto ExactoScale.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Hi Simon

My first port of call is always High Level Kits at

If you go to the gearbox page, you can download a "Gearbox Planner" which allows you to work out which will fit. An HLK gearbox plus Mashima motor is, IMO, the best you can get. Portescaps are over-rated!

Cheers

Reply to
Paul Boyd

thanks for that, will print the planner and try them out, one or two look as though they would be just right. Like the look of their shunters as well, will put those on the list for future project.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Thanks, yes its Branchlines that have used in the past with good results.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon