Craftsman Pop Rivet gun?`

I picked up ($1) what I believe to be a Craftsman pop rivet gun at a second hand shop the other day..and am unable to make it work...(hence the $1)

It appears to be some sort of air/hydraulic unit

Markings: Pat. Pending, Sears (in a small box inside a larger one Craftsman (R) and below it; _9 7478 (J) Made in USA

Pictures here:

Im totally unable to find any information of this unit.

Is this "gun" supposed to be filled with oil? The trigger mechanism I believe is attached to a pump and the round button in the center of the device below the "action" is probably a release valve that bleeds off the fluid.

There are a number of O rings that I believe seals the unit.

It was interesting and I splurged a dollar on it.

Anyone seen one before? Any ideas on its operation? Any ideas on how to fill it..and with what/how much?

Gunner

-- "The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince".

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have this exact unit, except mine is in New condition. It is hydraulic. Takes a few pumps of the handle to snap off the rivet. It comes with different size tips for different size rivets.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

On that same note, I have a nice pneumatic rivet gun, and a handheld also (mechanical advantage). With quite a selection of tips and hardware.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Load that baby up, place it up against your forehead, and pull the trigger.

Reply to
deep

hydraulic oil like the stuff that goes in a floor jack? Access port? White plastic stopper on side. I haven't had mine off, ever. But that's got to be the fill port.

Pop rivets are The Bomb.

Lg ghetto dweller

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Why hydraulic? I've used manual models and pneumatic, but hydraulic seems like overkill for any pop rivet I've run into. Even with rivnuts, I've only used manual tools. I've used Greenlee hydraulic tools for chassis punches, but pulling a 3 1/4" punch through a panel is a little more work.

Reply to
rbowman

Try pulling a few thousand a day and then come back and ask, Why hydraulic?

Reply to
Steve W.

You just catch it with your hand or let it fall on the floor. But until you allow it to be released from the gun, it stays in the gun. To release the snapped off rivet mandrel you have to push in and Hold the metal button on the side of the unit. Then the internals jaws that bite into the mandrel return to Start position, freeing the snapped off rivet mandrel to be extracted.

Yes that is exactly correct. The detached mandrel (from the rivet) stays in the jaws of the device until you release the pressure of the jaws and allow them to return to the Start position, wherein you can insert a New mandrel/rivet. The return to Start position seems to be controlled by some kind of spring, as long as you hold in the Metal Button on the side of the unit.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

You just catch it with your hand or let it fall on the floor. But until you allow it to be released from the gun, it stays in the gun. To release the snapped off rivet mandrel you have to push in and Hold the metal button on the side of the unit. Then the internals jaws that bite into the mandrel return to Start position, freeing the snapped off rivet mandrel to be extracted.

Yes that is exactly correct. The detached mandrel (from the rivet) stays in the jaws of the device until you release the pressure of the jaws and allow them to return to the Start position, wherein you can insert a New mandrel/rivet. The return to Start position seems to be controlled by some kind of spring, as long as you hold in the Metal Button on the side of the unit.

ONE MORE THING I FORGOT TO TELL YOU:

In some instances, if you use a rivet that is too long for the materials you are attaching to eachother, you will find that the "stroke" of the grippers jaws are not long enough to snap off the rivet mandrel.

In that case, push release button (metal) on side of gun and allow the gun to move FORWARD on the mandrel to get a "new grip." Now start squeezing/pumping the device again and 'BANG' now the mandrel snaps off.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Wouldn't even dream of it. That's a job for pneumatics!

And - while I can pull 3/16 aluminum with a normal hand tool,

3/16 steel won't go without air.

Maybe this hydraulic unit can pull them?

Reply to
Richard

I went looking to see what was out there these days, I'd seen that particular model for sale in the dusty past but never had one. It's either homeowner mechanical or air/hydraulic commercial these days, not much in-between. I did find one guy that said he had one like that in the service for working on aircraft, said that bozos would pump the units until the seals failed, bet that's the problem with yours. One current hand-operated hydraulic unit that doesn't resemble that one at all runs $300. Probably the reason that that model isn't made anymore is the bozo factor.

Did you get any other "nozzles" for other sized rivets with it? Just wondering what range of rivets it would pull was. If it would pull

1/4", that would fix a lot of power locks and regulators in car doors. The mechanical ones for that size are really big and hardly handy.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

De Nada

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I have some stainless pop rivets I bought for some reason. They are a bit bigger than the usual 1/8 inch aluminium rivets. They might be 3/16th dia. I do not have a hydraulic puller, and managed to use the stainless pop r ivets anyway. But a hydraulic puller would be nice if one was using very m any.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

replying to Lawrence Glickman, carpenter wrote: Does anyone have the manual for this tool, or know how to add hydraulic fluid?

Reply to
carpenter

replying to Lawrence Glickman, carpenter wrote: Does anyone have the manual for this tool, or know how to add hydraulic fluid?

Reply to
carpenter

replying to carpenter, Airboss18 wrote: carpenter: Have alike new unit that needs oil. Need the manual or someone telling me how to refill the oil.

Reply to
Airboss18

replying to Lawrence Glickman, Airboss18 wrote: Where is this white plastic stopper? Mine has nothing on the side except the return lever for the piston.