KPC v Gaugemaster Controllers

Please give you verdicts on the above controllers.

Thanks

Reply to
Mart

I don't know why you ask about these two ranges particularly. I prefer the OnTrack controllers from

Superb slow-speed control - without built-in compensation for load and gradients - so you get to DRIVE the trains instead of just watch them go up and down hills at an unprototypically steady speed. AND they're 'centre-off' - so you turn the knob in the direction you want the trains to go.

I used to make my own electronic controllers & felt they were as good as the commercial ones until I saw these at an exhibition. I now have four. Web site has list of exhibitions they're visiting.

(Satisfied customer - that's all!)

Dave

Reply to
David N

"Mart" wrote

We've sold Gaugemaster controllers since 1987 and must have shifted hundreds in that time. We've had no more than two or three returned as faulty and numerous repeat purchases from customers.

To me they'e very good value for money, reliable and come with a life-time guarantee.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Gaugemasters work wonderfully. I've not tried KPC because a lot of their range use feedback which is unsuitable for many (most?) N scale motors.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

I've had a Gaugemaster D, double panel mounted controller for ages, it went wrong once, after I'd had it few a few years. I sent it back to them expecting a bill on its return, but they found the fault and repaired it all for free. Impressed I was! Djo

Reply to
djdublo

I wish MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation) in the US were so accommodating. I have one of their transformer/controllers in which a small electronic component, probably worth a few cents, has failed. Because it is beyond the 5-year warranty period, they want me to send the transformer to them with US$15.00 for labour plus $7.00 for S&H (on top of postage from Canada to the US). A newer model replacement costs US$50. In fact I bought one today at a train show for CAN$80; even if it fails under warranty, I still have to pay postage both ways.

BTW, MRC don't have e-mail. Their response was hand-written on the back of my letter to them!

Reply to
MartinS

If you know what's failed and its out of warranty just fix it. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Where do I get a square black chip with 3 terminals, marked D1192/6H1? Radio Shack? MRC wouldn't send me one.

Reply to
MartinS