L&Y signalbox kit in OO?

Does anyone know of a kit (plastic or card) in OO which approximates to a LMS (L&Y) signalbox. I was hoping to find something I could use as a starting point to model the one still in use at Blackrod (on the Bolton-Preston line).

I'm quite happy to "kit-bash" the model, but I need something which at the very least has an approximation of the window frames - the rest could be scratch-built reasonably easily...

Ta

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

"Adrian B" wrote

I can't think of anything Adrian, although Airfic/Dapol do a kit of an LMS box it is of Midland origin.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I looked at that one at the weekend. the general proportions and style are not close enough to be of much use unless the glazing is similar. In fact, the Hornby box is a much closer match. Perhaps I'll hack one of those around a bit!

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

I'm not aware of a kit, but as a last resort Modelex/Churchward do a fair few different frets of signal box window frames, maybe something suitable :-

airsmoothed

Thanks. The LNWR fret looks like it *may* be of use.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

For what it's worth, I'm trying to make something which looks like this :

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

I think the Prototype Models card kit (Ref 46M7) which depicts an Ex LNWR LMS Box approximates to the one you want although the ladder and access door are on the opposite side.

I'm just renovating a very old example of the kit which unfortunately has most of the plastic parts whch are supplied with the kit (downspouts and window platform etc) missing. See this photo:

Like me it's been knocked about a bit over the years.

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

Ah...now that looks pretty good. As you say, it's a mirror-image of the box I want to model. but I should be able to do a cut-and-shut on the sides...

It looks like Freestone Model Accessories is the only outlet for these.

I'll give them a ring this afternoon.

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

These windows look very like the McKenzie and Holland windows used by the Highland Railway. '5522' (that's me) do these windows as etchings. I have a HR box built with them. If you are interested I can send you a picture (off list!) of my HR box and we can negotiate on prices for windows.

Alistair Wright

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Am I correct in thinking the Midland design was standardised by the LMS as the one in the middle of my local station (built in the mid-1920's) was a Midland type even though all of those in the surrounding area (circa 1914) are of the LNWR patttern?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Not sure but the one I'm trying to model is firmly L&Y since it was built in

1891. It does however look quite similar th the LNWR kit suggested by Tommy in this thread. The Metcalfe LNWR box looks much more "solid" than the Blackrod L&Y one which has a fragile look to it even though it's still in use after 114 years.

Adrian

Reply to
The Bradshaws

The Metcalfe model looks nothing at all like the LNWR boxes in this area. To be fair they do state in their adverts "based on an LNWR design", they don't claim it to be an exact replica.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Mebbe a quick email to the L&Y modelling contact?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Hancock