Loco crews

I have decided it is time my locos had a crew in the cab. Thing is how do you know what side of the cab the driver sat in the different types of loco. Was there a set format laid down somewhere, or was it left to the loco builders. Also did the crews all wear the same blue boilersuits, or was this something that varied between different companies.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

You need to know if the loco was left or right hand drive. Some companies stuck rigorously to one or the other but a few had a mixture. Looking on the outside of the loco, if it has a reversing rod which is visible (not often on tanks) then that is the driver's side. In my time drivers did not wear boiler suits. Denim type jackets and serge trousers (you need something to catch the sparks) with oily caps. Almost always in a middle blue shade for the jacket and black for the trousers (but sometimes denim type trousers were seen).

The LMS standardised on LH drive for new locos but possessed a lot of RHD inherited from constituents. The LNER started off LHD and then changed and there are locos in the same class with different driving sides. Can I suggest you have a look at photos, preferably of your actual model loco if you can find one. If you can't see a reversing rod then it is a fair chance that it is on the other side. BR standards were all LHD.

Alistair Wright

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Thanks for the info, with some research it should not be too difficult to sort out following your advice.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

If your talking about british diesels the controls are on the left hand side of the cab, (oposite side to uk driving standard) eu or us im not sure, kettles ive got no idea. hope this helps.

Reply to
ViP

"ViP" wrote

Kettles varied depending upon the company.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ex- broad gauge drivers proudly kept their white fustian jackets.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Sit down? Boiler Suits? Real railway men stood up all the way and wore jacket and trousers, topped off with a bowler!

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

And they didn't have cabs either!

Reply to
Bob Williams

And used to eat gravel at side of road...if they were LUCKY!

Reply to
Rob

In message , Ken Parkes writes

Not since 63 they didn't.

Reply to
Clive Coleman

1863?

Guy

--

"To every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

If you've got a steam loco model and it has an obvious reversing rod along the boiler side, then that's the side for the driver. Regards,

Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce