Correct Driver Quartering

I believe I read someplace, though I can't find the reference now, that the "standard" for US RR's was to quarter steam loco drivers with "right hand leading". My understanding is that this means the piston/valve event on the right (engineer's) side occurs 90 degrees ahead (in forward rotation of the drivers) of the same event on the left (fireman's) side. Thus when the rods are down on the right side (6:00 position), the crankpins are forward (closest to the cylinders, or 3:00 position as seen from the right side looking at the back of the left side drivers) on the left side. Thus the loco has to move forward 1/4 driver rev before the left side drivers get to the rods down position. I also understand that the Pennsy, the Standard RR of the World, was non-standard and quartered it's loco drivers the other way, with the left side leading. Can someone confirm my understandings and provide a source reference?

Given that my understanding is correct, it is interesting to check the quartering on HO steam locos. In a quick review, I see that my Rivarossi locos are consistently "correct" with right hand lead quartering, and my Bower PRR models are "correct" with left hand lead quartering. I am surprised to find that my old Mantua/Tyco steamers, none of which are PRR prototypes, are all quartered with left hand lead. I'm curious - does anyone have both the BLI C&O and PRR 2-10-4's who can check whether the quartering is reversed on the two models? (Or did the War Production Board, in granting PRR permission to build duplicates of the C&O T-1's, require the PRR to deviate from it's prior quartering practice on the J-1's?) Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

That has to be a yank egotism!

Reply to
Greg Procter

With Bowser being in Pa., and Mantua in NJ., and with Bowser being heavily PRR, I can offer this. THe quartering jig they use is probably a pretty pricey piece of equipment and few are going to notice differences. A driver of a given size from one RR to another isn't going to vary, they're probably sub assembled in quantity before being sent to the assembly line. Or, one jig fits all, (or fits none) for economic reasons. All of my Mantua are left handed without exception. For chuckles, my old Ken Kidder plantations, two are left, one is right.

Can't answer on the 1:1 scale, never even thought about it before.

Rich

Reply to
Richard
[in regards to quartering]

Behave yourself, whippersnapper. It was a PRR egotism! Also note that their standards were followed by nobody but them.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

I always do! =8^)

Ok - it's just when anyone mentions the World I feel as though the comment may well relate to me.

Yeah, I was searching for any parallels - there's the gauge, but that normally gets blamed on the Stephensons, not the PRR! So, it's like the US baseball "World Series"!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Groan!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There's a reason for their 'World Series'. It's simply because they don't care to know that there is a world outside of their borders. Their world is actually a very small self-centered place. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith
Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Quite unlike everyone in New Zealand, of course.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Ehni:

Now now, all GP said was 'Yank'; BS is from Canada, and as we all know,

if you gently inform Canadians that there may well be civilization outside their borders, they will have Nunavut.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Reply to
Greg Procter

Exactly! We're actually too small and too export oriented to ever be self-centered.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I didn't say "Yank" which I understand has negative connotations within the USa. I said "yank" which is a term understood world-wide as meaning 'citizens of the USa' and has _no_ negative connotations other than being understood world-wide as meaning 'citizens of the USa'. If I wanted to insult you and your nation I would either be more blatant or more subtle. OTOH I find the Usa of the term "World" applied to something that excludes

95% of the world's population somewhat insulting.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

GPfromNZ:

It's okay when WE say it, KIWI. Heh heh. Actually, I can't say I ever felt insulted by 'Yank', and I can't see why anybody else would, seeing as we use it ourselves so much...and everybody knows the old 'I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank' song.

I was just making sure the egotism was credited to its original holder.

(and at any rate the British Great Western was no better...)

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

=8^P

Never heard of it!

Good move!

I don't feel any responsibility for the Brits!

Reply to
Greg Procter

snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu spake thus:

Yes, but shouldn't you go on to explain the regional nature of the term "yank"? How it means one thing to a small-town Vermonter, another to any Vermonter, yet another to any resident of the Northeast, and still another to 'Merkins at large?

Once heard a fascinating description of this but can't remember where.

D "If you ask me I'll say I'm a Canuck" N

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

That's where we make the distinction of capitalizing "Yank" for whatever yanks what the name to mean and lowercase "yank" for the general term for citizens of the USa.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The truth hurts, eh, {;^Þ