Correct Driver Quartering

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:53:35 GMT, Froggy @ thepond..com wrote:

Yeahbut, their kids rarely dawdled in the bathroom when getting ready for school.

When asked by his wife where he had been until 3AM, the man replied that he'd encountered trouble sleeping and had gone to snooze in the hammock on the back porch. "We threw that hammock away last year", she snappily reminded him. Replied he: "Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it." :-) Froggy,
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 03:01:46 GMT, David Nebenzahl

and that is why they are Seppo's in Oz.
VBG
The term apparently originated in Sydney during WW2.
Don't blame me, I now live on the best side of Oz and was being bombed in London, UK during WW2.
Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
I was ten years old and living in Wisconsin before I learned that "damn Yankee" was two words, yawl. <g> Gene
Froggy wrote:

My dog always answered to "GedDownMutt!" as if it were his official name!
"G.M." wrote:

In 1903, when the term "World" was first used, baseball was played exclusively in the USA (Note the Capital 'A') Such was the case for nearly fifty years following. The name was appropriate at the time and has stuck. Canadian teams have participated in, and won, several World Series' over the years, which is enough to lend legitimacy to the name. If new zealand wanted to join in the sport of baseball and travel the required circuit to play, I'm sure they could participate in a World Series also. That is, if they were good enough to get that far.
Froggy,
On 11/15/05 2:18 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net,

I believe the Japanese have good enough teams to do so; perhaps they don't want to make the circuit.
Or is it that MLB hasn't ASKED them?
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni

I don't know. Truth is I don't have much interest in professional sports. Anything that I do not participate in myself does not hold much interest for me. I have always viewed sports kinda like sex. If you ain't playin' who wants to sit and watch? Not me! I would like to see baseball move into an arena similar to the one that cricket and football (soccer) are in, where the game is international and intercontinental in scope. Japanese and Caribbean teams would compete in playoffs with North American teams, and the winners would compete for an actual world championship, not just one that was either Merkin or Canadian. Canada has only one team left now, so they are not very well represented. I would like to see the National League have a replacement team for the Expos, but not in Montreal. Ottawa, perhaps or maybe Calgary, Winnipeg, or Edmonton. I don't know how popular it is possible to make baseball in Canada. At any rate, baseball in Canada would always be secondary to Hockey IMO. Here in the Southeast USA, where I live, baseball is clearly secondary to football in terms of fan appeal. Baseball, for me, is listening to the Braves' games on the radio while I am working on models or something else. I have never been to a game at Turner Field since it opened in '96. Football, I have nothing to do with at any level. I can't even tell you which division the Atlanta Falcons are in.
Froggy,
Froggy, @, thepond..com wrote:

The story I was told (by a yank) was that the series was sponsored by a newspaper which had "World" as half it's title.
Of course the NZ baseball team is good enough - at least I think we have a team. If we had two or more we could have a New Zealand Series prior to the World Series!

The New York World ISTR. Defunct now, but not the series

How'd NZ do in the Olympics? There's the closest thing to a true world series of baseball you are likely to ever find.
Froggy,
Froggy, @, thepond..com wrote:

I have no idea! I played baseball at highschool for a year as we had to play a sport. It was such a boring game that in one match I wandered off and went home, thinking the game had ended. Next day I was told in no uncertain terms by the coach that I had been missed.

See above. IMO baseball and cricket about tie for being the most boring sports ever invented - cricket is a little more varied but goes on far too long - baseball is more like power boring.
Regards, Greg.P.
PS we seem to have wandered from correct driver quartering - I always quarter my wheels right hand leading which is correct for my prototype. I think Marty Feldmann would be the only person who could see both sides of an HO loco at one time. I've been meaning to build a quartering jig for the last 25 years - so far I've always got by setting wheels by eye. - Sit chassis on a piece of plate glass. - set all drivers on one side with crank pins at bottom. - with the other side drivers just on the axle, twist until they all face forward on the center-line. - press each wheel on 50% using lathe or press. - recheck quartering. - press drivers fully home on the axles. Works every time for me.

Mirrors my opinion of football and basketball; especially basketball. A top contender for the most boring "sport" ever conceived. Well, after Bull Fighting, that is. As far as cricket is concerned, any game that takes two days to play is too long for my ADD attention span.
Froggy,

GPX:
IMO baseball is very dull for those who don't understand the game, but let them learn a little bit about it and they'll be hooked. It's like chess, a game of strategy.
Cordially yours, Gerard P.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

I knew enough to be on the school sports team - of course we don't have any of the US hype attached to the sport here, as evidenced by my inability to rememember if we have a national team.

I won a couple of chess tournaments - but I never saw any brain power applied to baseball!
Regards, Greg.P.
On 11/16/05 1:23 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz, "Greg Procter"

Where to inject the steroid comes to mind....
--
Thanks!

Brian Ehni
Greg Procter wrote:

GPfromNZ:
Then you haven't seen it played right, or didn't understand what you were seeing. Go to your friendly neighborhood library and check out a few books on baseball strategy...it is a game that requires strength, dexterity, and intelligence in quantities far more balanced than most other team sports.
Cordially yours, Gerard P.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

Quite possibly - driver quartering strikes me as being slightly more exciting.

I very much doubt if my local library has any books on baseball strategy, it's a game largely ignored in NZ - I did see one on peytonque (sp?)
Regards, Greg.P.

I'll second that, and I'm only thirty miles from Milwaukee and that monstrosity white elephant stadium that our beloved grovelmore gave the ok to so he could tack an extra tenth of a percent on our sales tax, but only in five counties, to pay for the damned thing.
Nice to see that the quality of the jap engineering in the moving roof is showing up well, it only needs a few more tens of millions of dollars now. Then next year it'll only need another few tens of millions of dollars. Then a few more the year after, ad nauseum.
Methinks they would have been better off to put the half billion in light rail instead of the pockets of millionaire playboys that don't have real jobs.
We don't all like baseball over here either, I've never been to a professional (crybabies) game and never will. The price of a ticket and that of a cheap loco or a couple of nice pieces of rolling stock are about the same.
Rich

Aww, c'mon Rich. Don't hold it back. Tell us how you really feel about it.
Froggy,
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:57:15 GMT, Froggy @ thepond..com wrote:

Sorry for the rant, Froggy, but after my 64 years, I'm getting a little tired of politicians being free with my money and not bothering to ask me first. Over the years, light rail has come up several times, and has always been shot down by Mad City, in particular Toxic Tommy. "Can't be spending taxpayer money for something we'll have to subsidize forever." However, Miller park has absolutely no chance of even paying it's own operating costs, now or in a thousand years.
Supposedly it's a public place, but I don't think I'll try to go in if there isn't a game going on, but that'll never happen either. My thoughts are that perhaps if a bit of light rail had been put in and at least given a trial run, the politicians might have been surprised at being found wrong. Here in Burlington, it doesn't matter where you want to go, forget it unless you drive. There is exactly nothing, absolutely no other way to get into Milwaukee, Racine or Kenosha.
My late wife used to tell of taking the (TMER&L??) into Milwaukee, spending a whole day there and riding it back again. It seems to me that the state coughing out a few bucks to keep it going would have been a much better idea than seligs palace ever will be.
But I also think that no politician should ever be allowed to breathe easy from the day he's elected until he's dead. Keep the bas****s on the hot seat.
Rich