Correct Driver Quartering

In 1903, when the term "World" was first used, baseball was played exclusively in the USA (Note the Capital 'A') Such was the case for nearly fifty years following. The name was appropriate at the time and has stuck. Canadian teams have participated in, and won, several World Series' over the years, which is enough to lend legitimacy to the name. If new zealand wanted to join in the sport of baseball and travel the required circuit to play, I'm sure they could participate in a World Series also. That is, if they were good enough to get that far.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

I believe the Japanese have good enough teams to do so; perhaps they don't want to make the circuit.

Or is it that MLB hasn't ASKED them?

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

In the USA at large, a Yankee is someone who lives in the North. In the North, it is someone who lives in the Northeast In the Northeast, is is someone who lives in New England. In New England, it is someone who lives in Maine In Maine, it is . . . you get the picture?

"Yankee" is actually a Dutch corruption of the15th Century pejoritive term "John Cheese" directed by the English, bent on colonizing North America, toward the Dutch, who were already there. With a Dutch accent, John Cheese becomes Jon Kees (Yon Keys) and from there it is a mere hop, skip, and jump to "Yankee". So if you aren't of Dutch ancestry, you can't be a Yankee in the first place.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

The story I was told (by a yank) was that the series was sponsored by a newspaper which had "World" as half it's title.

Of course the NZ baseball team is good enough - at least I think we have a team. If we had two or more we could have a New Zealand Series prior to the World Series!

Reply to
Greg Procter

So do I. A Met's fan in Michigan.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

The World series was at first sponsored by a newspaper called the Something (New York?) World. If the paper had been called the Tribune, it would be the Tribune Series.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Nope, but thanks for playing. See:

When the series started, the only place baseball was played was in the USA.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Oops I misspelled "pejorative" Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

I don't know. Truth is I don't have much interest in professional sports. Anything that I do not participate in myself does not hold much interest for me. I have always viewed sports kinda like sex. If you ain't playin' who wants to sit and watch? Not me! I would like to see baseball move into an arena similar to the one that cricket and football (soccer) are in, where the game is international and intercontinental in scope. Japanese and Caribbean teams would compete in playoffs with North American teams, and the winners would compete for an actual world championship, not just one that was either Merkin or Canadian. Canada has only one team left now, so they are not very well represented. I would like to see the National League have a replacement team for the Expos, but not in Montreal. Ottawa, perhaps or maybe Calgary, Winnipeg, or Edmonton. I don't know how popular it is possible to make baseball in Canada. At any rate, baseball in Canada would always be secondary to Hockey IMO. Here in the Southeast USA, where I live, baseball is clearly secondary to football in terms of fan appeal. Baseball, for me, is listening to the Braves' games on the radio while I am working on models or something else. I have never been to a game at Turner Field since it opened in '96. Football, I have nothing to do with at any level. I can't even tell you which division the Atlanta Falcons are in.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

The New York World ISTR. Defunct now, but not the series

How'd NZ do in the Olympics? There's the closest thing to a true world series of baseball you are likely to ever find.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

I have no idea! I played baseball at highschool for a year as we had to play a sport. It was such a boring game that in one match I wandered off and went home, thinking the game had ended. Next day I was told in no uncertain terms by the coach that I had been missed.

See above. IMO baseball and cricket about tie for being the most boring sports ever invented - cricket is a little more varied but goes on far too long - baseball is more like power boring.

Regards, Greg.P.

PS we seem to have wandered from correct driver quartering - I always quarter my wheels right hand leading which is correct for my prototype. I think Marty Feldmann would be the only person who could see both sides of an HO loco at one time. I've been meaning to build a quartering jig for the last 25 years - so far I've always got by setting wheels by eye.

- Sit chassis on a piece of plate glass.

- set all drivers on one side with crank pins at bottom.

- with the other side drivers just on the axle, twist until they all face forward on the center-line.

- press each wheel on 50% using lathe or press.

- recheck quartering.

- press drivers fully home on the axles. Works every time for me.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Froggy @ thepond..com spake thus:

Here's a variation of that I found:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American. To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner. To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander. To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter. And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who still uses an outhouse.

That seems to be one theory; there are others. Check

for more information.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Since Wikipedia entries are subject to editing by the internet public at large, I would certainly hesitate to cite it as truth (which you, of course, did not).

Having said that, others report the word is derived from "Janke", a diminuitive of "Jan". This is cited by the Oxford English Dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary, and the Oxford Dictionary of Slang. See:

Also, see:

(I like this one)

Brian Paul Ehni

Cute, but to a Vermonter, the word Yankee is just as likely to conjure up the city slicker image of Vrest Orton, a Vermonter who moved downcountry, and then back to Vermont to start the Vermont Country Store, to sell common products to city folks in Westchester and southern Connecticut that wanted to play backwoods pioneer.

Real Vermonters don't much go by the appellation of Yankee, and prefer to be called Vermonters (pronounced Vuh-MONT-(au)s - the end is not a flat Boston a, and not a "uh" but somewhere in between that only we know how to say - of course I'm only 7th generation, so I might be wrong :-))

And yes, a family I knew still used an outhouse even into the late

1970s. It was somewhat practical - outhouses don't get frozen plumbing midwinter.
Reply to
3D

invented - cricket

Mirrors my opinion of football and basketball; especially basketball. A top contender for the most boring "sport" ever conceived. Well, after Bull Fighting, that is. As far as cricket is concerned, any game that takes two days to play is too long for my ADD attention span.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

When asked by his wife where he had been until 3AM, the man replied that he'd encountered trouble sleeping and had gone to snooze in the hammock on the back porch. "We threw that hammock away last year", she snappily reminded him. Replied he: "Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it." :-) Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Perhaps not, butt I bet ~your~ plumbing gets a bit frosty.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

GPX:

IMO baseball is very dull for those who don't understand the game, but let them learn a little bit about it and they'll be hooked. It's like chess, a game of strategy.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

*cackle*