Looking for Boxes

Hello folks

I am wanting to track down a range of nice boxes that will enable me to house my locos and carriages neatly. I imagine them to be made from heavier cardboard than Hornby/Bachmann supplies and if possible would have an embossed and coloured finish - prefer red, but will consider other colours. I feel certain someone out there must have faced the same issue, so any help and suggestions gratefully received.

Preferred dimensions are:

75-110mm wide X 200, 250, 300, 350 mm long - depth 40 - 60 mm aprox.

Thanks

Steve - down-under

Reply to
mindesign

In message , mindesign writes

I have rather a lot of stock for my garden railway, so what I decided to do was make some trays to hold everything. These trays are constructed out of 75 x 12 mm softwood for the sides, screwed to hardboard or thin plywood bases. The normal size of the trays is 500 x 350 mm, and they are divided internally into compartments with 30 mm strips of 2 mm polystyrene, which cross each other by means of halving joints where necessary. The compartments are 42 mm wide, and have bubble-wrap stuck in the right places to prevent damage to the stock. I can get 11 coaches into a tray, and 33 short-wheelbase wagons. Some trays are made slightly wider to accommodate long-wheelbase wagons or longer coaches without losing too much space.

These trays are easy to make, the most time-consuming part being sorting out the internal dividers, which are cut from large sheets of transparent polystyrene sheeting from the do-it-yourself supermarket.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

excellent idea here - thanks!

Reply to
mindesign

I keep N gauge stuff in some blue sponge U shaped thingies I got off ebay. The are really effective for storing and stacking without damaging the stock and are available for OO also - I am sure you could get them in just about any size you liked.

just had a quick browse on ebay... take a look at "locoguard"

Uncle Wobbly

I may be completely wrong but do you not have to take care that the bubble wrap is of a certain grade/quality.

ISTR that some types can interact with other plastics causing marks if left in contact for a long time.

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

I imagine any product that could promote sweating would be a concern, especially against weathered items. My application isn't really for storage as such, rather I am wanting to have individually boxed Locos, and passenger carriages. But the other ideas/offerings have been gratefully received!

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

In message , g.harman writes

With luck the only part of the stock that comes into contact with the bubble wrap is the wheels and the couplings.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan