TOOL BOXES

Hi,

Wooden tool chests. Several years ago, COSTCO had some really cool and very reasonably priced, wooden tool chests (machinists chests). I lost the phone number of the guys making them and COSTCO stopped selling them. I bought a few and would like a few more.

These are not the solid OAK beauties in the $500.00+ range but they are still really nice, being done in a plywood type of material.

Any ideas if they are still available and where?

Jim Klein

Reply to
West Coast Engineering

Found the better part of my toolboxes during the weekly free garage sales. (aka garbage day!)

Best day was when my partner in crime asked to stop when someone threw out a computer (486 processer but otherwise complete with moniter). While he was grabbing that, I picked up a box that had an Oneda silver service for 12 in it, as well as the side stuff like butter knives, and serving spoons. There are deals to be made if you keep your eyes open.

The Old Timer

My best day was the large (1/96-1/100) Singapore Air 747 award model and smaller (1/50 or so) Jetstream awarded to the same person for lease sales.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Try these. Never seen them in person. If you get one let us know how they are.

Reply to
Bull

It's amazing what the foolish throw out; too lazy and selfish to give it to Goodwill etc. I'm prone to scrounging myself on occasion (ya never woulda guessed huh?) and found an almost new Hoover $300 machine next to a box for an even newer vac. They both went in the van. I'm running out of room around here. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I mounted an old Lewitt canister-style vacuum cleaner on top of my spray paint booth. It sucked the fumes and particulates (through a filter, of course) up into the vacuum filterbag. I used it for years until it finally stopped working. When I threw it out, somebody came and (because I was in the front yard at the time) asked if they could have it. I told them it didn't work, but he wanted it for parts. Seems he did something pretty similar to what I did with it. Those canister types are starting to get scarce....

The Old Timer

alt.dumpster, keepah.

I draw the line at things that absorb smells.....sometimes that's why they're out there....LOL.

Keeper wrote:

Reply to
Ron

I used to work for a woman like that. It never occurred to her that somebody might get some use out of the unfashionable things she threw out. Since my loading area was the same porch she stacked her trash on many, many things that would have filled up the dump ended up at Goodwill (and a few things ended up at my house :)).

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

bill, there was a compuer co in newton, ma that used to pack all of their rma's in neat boxes and tossed them in the dumpster. 99% of the problems were jumpers or stupid customers. the techs wouldn't check them, so they were marked unseviceable and tossed. i would check the stuff, set it right and sell it at the mit flea maeket. cpu's, mobos, ram, drives, monitors...some complete boxes. it was easy money and cost me nothing to give a guarantee. for some strange reason, they went out of biz in 3 years. dumpster diving rules. my fave was a 350cc yamay dirt bike that needed points. still have it.

How are you in working in 1:1 scale?

Reply to
Rob Kelk

Reading this note over again, I just happened to think of the footlockers that I had in the Marines. These are still available at most Army-Navy Surplus stores. Cost is usually dependant on condition. How big are the ones that you're looking for?

The Old Timer

Check harbor freight, They probably have what you are looking for. If you have one of those import tool stores in your town they probably carry them also.

Industrial machinist tool shops will have them too but you will pay through the nose.

Drew

Reply to
ScaryArt

I saw the type of tool box you are lookig for at Lowes . I think they were in the $60 range don't remember

Bill

Reply to
... ...