Mail Order Follow up

"Mike" wrote

There's no easy answer to this we charge postage at cost (with no charge for packing) so if you buy something small & light you score over someone who buys something heavy - but then why should one subsidise the other?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Maybe next day is a bit optimstic for every order but to compare with other mail order suppliers I placed an order on Sunday evening with Maplins for some electronic stuff (value 44 quid and post free), arrived in an exceptionally large box early Wednesday morning.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

From royal mail's website:

sd next day prices:

Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day

Item weight up to: Amount of compensation for loss or damage up to: £250 £1,000 £2,500 100g £3.75 £4.20 £5.10 500g £4.05 £4.50 £5.40 1kg £5.20 £5.65 £6.55 2kg £6.55 £7.00 £7.90 10kg £18.50 £18.95 £19.85

Next Steps

So, if you were offered SD for £5.20 , your packing must have been included in the purchase price.

(for reference a boxed hornby sr fighter comand loco weighs around

600g)

Craig

begin 666 blank_FineGround_3uuaudvdzq2phs32or3m5pxup_FGN_V01.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)$``````/_______P```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```(" $5 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Craig Douglas

Good point!

Also, I very nearly place an order on a web site today for a Hymek, when I worked out that for just £3 more I could get it locally today and thats what I did. So, no matter what the apparent price of the loco, when you have to add a big postage charge there is little difference between RRP and discounted?

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote

It's taken you a long time to suss that Mike! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'll let you have that one John :-) as its Christmas. Ho ho

Reply to
Mike

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:11:44 +0000, Mike Parkes <

Or what about Crucial for computer memory? You get the parts next day by first class recorded delivery and they don't charge for delivery.

Alan

Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

Reply to
Alan Norris

"Alan Norris" > wrote

Oh yes you do - it's built into the price!

John.

Reply to
John Turner