Minimal train power

That's what I originally thought until I looked at that pdf. If you look at the left hand drawings on that page you will clearly see that the pick up is by springy metal pickups attached to the non-power bogie and labelled as item 3 on the drawing and in the list below as "Collector/Wire Assembly X8515"

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

The only model which I recall using this type of pickup was the very early Class 47 and I did find a 37 also but the R069 version on service sheet 108 of 1978 shows only the arrangement which I have quoted.

The only fact which evades me is -- was there a pre 1978 version?

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

Further to my last epistle, the dwg you quote is for the (to me) very modern 5 pole version my version is of the 30 year old version!

Peter

Reply to
Sailor

First thing you could try is putting the leads from the controller across the motor brushes and see if the motor runs OK. If it does then start looking at the pick-ups. You could try meths with a bit of rag should not need any abrasive, if there's no visible muck, that's what we have used on exhibition layouts before. Peco electrolub is good to in the axle holders in the bogies.

Reply to
Chris

" ARGH !!!! Track rubbers are the work of stan " Who's Stan ? '0'

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Checking and cleaning as described by the other members is relatively easy but replacing bushes does require a steady hand and patience. If you're not confident enough it's going to cost you from =A315 to =A3 20 upwards for a service plus parts.

Many loco's are just clogged up with what I call 'carpet fluff'. If you follow the other 'Chris' s suggestions you may get results. It's a simple case of elimination.

Regards

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

You're correct although there are HST125 service sheets ss205b and ss205c showing a similar arrangement for the earlier 3 pole version with springy pickups on the non-powered bogie see:

However I assume that this varient is also fairly recent perhaps from the late 1990s or early 2000s.

I assume that the earlier Hornby HST 125s were as Peter said with pickup via the axles as shown in the sevice sheet ss205

in the earlier service sheets from 1978 ss108 and ss106
So it looks like Craig will have to clean the axles and slots rather than just the wheel backs.

At least one thing has come from this, I've discovered a source of the older Hornby service sheets which are not on the Hornby site. You can find the service sheet number form

then download a JPEG of it from
would like to thank the "Blissetts" for this excellent resource.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

form

and then download a JPEG of it from
and would like to thank the "Blissetts" for this excellent resource.

Alos on

site also has the 'Locomotive Operation And Maintenance' sheets

For Hornby Dublo Service Sheets try

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Checking on the models quoted for the ss205 the oldest there is R2000 which dates from 1997. This was a one off and was then followed 7 years later by the R2045 and it's variants. The 5 pole came along in 2006 (R2298 & 2376) and the" =E0 point" units from 2009 (2701X etc )with the centre mounted motor and cardan shafts.

My latest acquisition is a 21 year old pristine unit which has shown that DCC loco 0 (DC on DCC system) will not operate the auto reversing units (Hornby) due to the long delay between poles hitting the break point! Yet another good reason to have universal pickups. This one will provide the means of experimenting with Single chip DCC with lights via mini inter carriage plug & socket connections.

There also appears to be a dearth of Bachmann 36-553 decoders available -- any rumours?

Reply to
Sailor