MREMag website down

Looks like MREMag is down. Anyone got any news on what might have happened?

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

In message , Ian J. writes

Demon are having problems with their homepages. Engineers are investigating.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I seem to be getting slow download speeds today as well, so I wonder if there might be a wider problem (I'm not with demon).

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

There is a wider problem. Over 10,000 websites worldwide have been taken down by the so-called Mpack attack and the number is growing. Of course, it's possible that has nothing to do with this case and that Uncle Pat has simply forgotten to put a shilling in the meter?

By the way, this is one reason I have JavaScript disabled in my browser.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

While on the subject of web sites........ Does anyone know the owners of Tower Models? I don't want to make a huge fuss or anything to embarass them (hence not an e-mail out of the blue ), but if someone could mention to them that their site is badly broken it might be good - of the six browsers, on 2 OS's (Risc-OS and Linux)

- including FireFox - none of them can make head nor tail of the menuing system.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Works fine on Windows/IE7 ;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The "gauge" selector on the left doesn't work with my XP Pro and Firefox.

Gordon (customer of Beamends, not that that's relevant here!)

Reply to
gbubb

Nothing works fine on Windows....for long... ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On 20/06/2007 14:28, snipped-for-privacy@drytecltd.com said,

The site does seem to have a bug that means that maybe 13% of people can't use their website - those people (including myself) who use Firefox.

Oh well. There are plenty of other sites that do work out there who might want my money :-) As the non-IE7 browser percentage continues to rise, these sites will eventually notice declining visits.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I had nothing but problems with IE7 and once I removed it and reverted to IE6 the problems disappeared.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Me too. A lot of things stopped working.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

I've never had any major (or minor, come to think of it) problems with IE7.

I've had more trouble with moving to 64 bit (x64) hardware and Windows XP x64 where there are still some problems. Adobe's Flash player didn't for a long time run properly in IE, but that seems to have been resolved in a very recent update.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ian J." wrote

Doesn't seem to offer much (if any) more than IE6, but I reluctantly accepted it when my machine was reformated a little while ago. Have to say I've not had any real problems with it, but one little niggle does irk:-

When 'Favourites' are selected and 'pinned' in position (my usual selection) each time it loads the silly little icons for each bookmark take a second or two to load, and often I click the site I want to access before they're loaded and it means I select the wrong site. I'm sure there must be a way to disable the icons, but I've not found it yet.

John.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

For the refresh to be that slow, you must either have a pretty slow PC, or rather a lot of favourites in one place. If you haven't done so already, maybe it's worth splitting the favourites out so that there are fewer in any one favourites folder?

I thought there was a simple setting for this, but now can't find it, which probably means there wasn't one to begin with (I might have been thinking of icons next to favourites in Office applications).

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Ian J." wrote

The PC is fairly fast - Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 1.81GHz, and the machine is virus (etc) free, but yes I've got a lot of 'favourites' and many are already split into a number of folder.

Ah well, it was worth asking.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I note that this afternoon MREMag is back up and running.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Actually, I think it's a shame that the firefox team haven't got there act together and produced a browser that's compatible with tower model's website....

I mean, what's the point of firefox? a browser that doesn't display 20% of the worlds websites properly? No wonder hardly anyone uses it!!!!

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

The main problem here is the reliance on certain sites of features which are simply not compatible with the world standards. Microsoft should be required by law to ensure that their products comply with international standards, but at present they just pay backhanders to the US legal system to let them off. If a site fails to verify against W3 tests then *IT* is in the wrong, and simply directing people to a broken browser is not a solution.

They are trying to do the same thing now with the open document standard. We have an agreed standard for documents - why should Microsoft be allowed to 'add' their own closed functions to that standard and require people to use their software. Simply saying THEY are the standard does not make it so :(

Reply to
Lester Caine

On the assumption that this is a genuine question and not a troll (and even if it is a troll, it's one that deserves putting to bed), the problem isn't with Firefox, the problem is with the web designers who have chosen to use features that are the commercial property of Microsoft and hence only exist in Microsoft's browsers. Even if the Firefox team wanted to emulate them, they couldn't, as that would be an infringement of MS's copyright.

The fact that this makes some websites inaccessible to Firefox is, from Microsoft's perspective, the whole point - the aim is to fill the web with proprietory content that can only be accessed with Microsoft's products, thus maintaining Microsoft's market share.

Firefox displays considerably more than that - despite MS's best efforts, the number of "IE only" websites is actually very small. And it's the site operators who lose out in such cases, not the end user.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

"Mark Goodge" wrote

That seems rather silly approach in my opinion. Or are you saying that these web designers are not aware of these features, or could it be these features actually have some browsing advantages?

John.

Reply to
John Turner