MRM no more

Seems not enough people have been buying it, the online version remains.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On 06/11/2007 19:40, Chris said,

What was MRM?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Neil.

Reply to
mumbles

mumbles said the following on 06/11/2007 22:46:

That's a new one on me! Although the subject matter isn't my scene so I would have been unlikely to buy it regularly, perhaps the fact that I, and presumably others, hadn't heard of it may not have helped their cause!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

It's about a month since MRMs demise. The postmortem has been performed at length on some of the Yahoo! groups.

It seems fairly clear to me that poor distribution was partly to blame, but the fact that it was quarterly rather than monthly was always going to doom it to failure. News was almost always old-news by the time it was in MRM. Likewise for reviews of new models. The result was that anyone who bought MRM was very likely to buy a monthly magazine too, rendering MRM a likely "buy it when I see it" purchase - not easy when it was only stocked by a minority of newsagents.

Those interested in modern-image modeling are now faced with the choice of one of the broader-based magazines such as Model Rail and/or one of the two supplements which are now published in Rail Express and Traction magazines.

For the record, the MRM website is now frozen and will presumably disappear in the not too distant future.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

On 07/11/2007 11:34, Adrian said,

It's taken that long for that to be noticed here!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

" not easy when it was only stocked by a minority of newsagents " Our local W H Smith(s) always stocked it !

I think that's why, despite the apparent success of the new Hornby mag, they have now gone to monthly issues.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Why can't it just return to being a free pullout with BRM?

(kim)

Reply to
kim