Neighbours

I just happened to see the latest episode of Neighbours. Apparently several of them are interested in "toy trains".

How embarrassing!

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

On 12/04/2007 21:31, Jane Sullivan said,

It is embarrassing, isn't it? Fancy admitting to watching Neighbours :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

In message , Paul Boyd writes

Foiled again! (That's exactly how I meant it!)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Riiight.............

Reply to
Rob Kemp

It took a TV show for you to finally face up to reality ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

*Model* trains! :-D

I thought it was great. What was especially good was that as soon as Steiger declared his interest, a number of other characters also declared their interest as well. It's a little bit like real life. Once people realise that they won't be on their own, they admit to enjoying watching and looking at model trains.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

LOL - I've got a friend who although well into his 50s is still unmarried and hasn't really sussed out that his favourite 'chat up' line with the ladies doesn't seem to impress them:

Of course we all play with model trains, but how many of us would have the courage to dive into a converation with a newly met lady claiming?

'Hi I'm Paul, I spent last weekend playing trains at York Model Railway Show. The hotel was ok but none of the staff spoke English. Oh and we got to go for a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway on a Met Camm dmu.'

Ah well, takes all sort!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 13/04/2007 15:20, John Turner said,

That's a lie - it was at the NRM :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

It could be worse. Just casually mention having watched Dr Who or Buffy The Vampire Slayer to a young girl and see how fast she runs. I've had better luck admitting to reading model railway magazines. Full-size railways are worse. I once asked a woman in the print shop if she remembered the old station and she said she did and then cut me off dead, never spoke to me again!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

"Come up to the bedroom and see my model railway" is more of a come-on than anybody's "etchings" - whatever they are/were.

Anyway it worked for me, and more than once!

Reply to
David Jackson

Indeed it does. My now wife was delighted to hear that I was into railways, as she was born in Crewe to a family of railwaymen. Her father, another engineer, was even more delighted when I disclosed I had been a pupil of the Scottish CM&EE. She couldn't wait to marry me, and when our new house was being designed the largest room was allocated to the model railway. You just have to keep looking. Such girls are around.

Alistair W

Reply to
Alistair Wright

Tell the scriptwriters!

You mean, you watch Neighbours as well?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I was wondering how long it would take Enzo to latch on to this thread.

Reply to
MartinS

It turns out that there were several generations of railwaymen on my maternal grandfather's side, as well as a number of my wife's ancestors.

Reply to
MartinS

I saw this episode and was thinking about making a comment about it, particularily after the attractive young lady said that "trains" were something that her and her father did together! It did make me wonder if model railways were seen as being less geeky in Australia or if there is a train buff in the scriptwriting team?

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

My wife tries never to miss an episode of 'Neighbours'.

A year or so ago the story line included a visit to the famous 'Puffing Billy' 760mm gauge railway at Belgrave in the Dandenong Ranges, only 40 km east from Melbourne.

Even I hung around in the living room for a few minutes while I enjoyed the sight of the two genuine Baldwin 2-6-2 Tanks and their Oz-built, cloned sisters. The recently restored Beyer Garratt wasn't included, as far as I recall.

Reply to
Eddie Bellass

butbutbut... that was the line. Janelle said "toy trains?" and Stieger corrected her - " *Model* trains!"

It made me laugh because on another group that I infest we have a similar bit of banter! :-)

Who? Me? No, of course not! How could you say something so dreadful? I've never been so insulted in all my life.... Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Not totally true, I know a fair number of attractive young ladies who are fans of both. (Of course, some are fans of the former because they think David Tenant is hot).

They certainly tend to be the more interesting ones as well!

Reply to
Spyke

You have a point. In fact I believe that the majority of the BtVS fanbase is female.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Not sure about that - I've known female fans of both. Admittedly not the sort of fans who count the rivets on a Dalek, but certainly fans.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis