New Lima???

Hornby could have got their fingers badly burnt if there's any truth in the report on MREmag.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Why do you say Hornby might have got their fingers burnt? A new 37 model is likely to hurt Bachmann at least as much - unless this is based on old Lima tooling which Hornby failed to acquire when they bought the Lima assets.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

At a suggested price of around GBP50.00 it sounds a potential competitor to Hornby's 'Railroad' range, and could be conceived by ex-Lima employees with a grudge against Hornby for switching production from Italy to China and thus doing them out of a job.

I don't see it as a threat to Bachmann because of the quality of the latter's mechanisms, whereas many of Hornby's 'cheaper' diesel loco range could easily be hit by this, if only because of their indifferent and ancient 'pancake' motors.

Now if it turns out to be a state of the art high quality model with an accurate, well-detailed body and quality chassis then it *could* be a spoiler for both Bachmann and Hornby, but I guess only time will tell.

Seeems strange to produce yet another class 37 though with all the variations on that theme we've had in the last few years.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I see what you mean. The £50 price-tag is a big clue towards the level of quality we can expect. £50 manufactured in Italy isn't going to buy anything very spectacular.

The 37 does sound like a bad choice. However, in their shoes, what would you produce? Most of the major classes have been done in recent years. A cheap 31, 50 or 60 might hurt Hornby more than the 37 - surely they don't sell many 37s now. Perhaps a budget 33? Or better still cover one of the models Hornby have resurected from the Lima range, but do it better... Personally, I'd rather see a new 87 but for 50 quid?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"Adrian" wrote

I'd have gone for the either the class 31 or 60. The original Lima models were reasonably accurate and although I'm sure that Hornby would have secured the tooling for them from the rump of the Lima company, I wouldn't have thought that either would have cost more for Vi Trains to develop than the 37.

Either of these could then have gone head-to-head with the grossly over-priced Hornby models at a little over half its price. On the other hand could the emergence of Vi Trains be with Hornby's blessing using some of the original Lima tooling and be an attempt at spoiling Bachmann's market?

All speculation of course.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Looking through the latest Bachmann catalogue, I found myself automatically skipping over anything that doesn't have factory fitted sound and I can't be the only one who does that? Really glad I bought a DCC controller now, even if it only a very basic model.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote Looking through the latest Bachmann catalogue, I found myself automatically skipping over anything that doesn't have factory fitted sound and I can't be the only one who does that? Really glad I bought a DCC controller now, even if it only a very basic model.

(kim)

Agreed, but it is STILL going to be expensive!

Andy (Considering fitting sound to the Hornby 08)

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"kim" wrote

I tend to agree about the sound and I had really expected a Class 108 with this as a sound decoder has already been programmed. It gives me time to save up for next year, after I've bought the sound equipped Deltic and possibly the 47 although I would prefer a green duff.

Looking at the ViTrains catalogue the general quality of stock appears to be quite high spec and there is a diesel railcar equipped with installed load-regulating ESU LokSound decoder for realistic motors, Italian language announcements, horns and braking sounds. Epoch IIIb, NEM coupler sockets, Digital complete with sound, triple white/red bi-directional headlights, five pole motor with flywheels, exact interiors as the prototype at US$245 or about £125. Most of the stock has metal frames and flywheel motors.

I can't imagine that they would try to sell something cheap and nasty to spoil Hornby and Bachmann sales..

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

"David Westerman" wrote

LOL - you're right of course, traditionally British Lima was nasty - but not cheap. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote>

Quite right, but I was led to believe that it was "the failing management" who made those strange decisions and hopefully not the guys who have resurrected Vi Trains. We will find out in due course no doubt but I am optimistic looking at the spec. of the continental ranges.

Can anyone see anything that looks as though it is lifted straight from the original Lima / Rivarossi range?

Dave W

Reply to
David Westerman

"David Westerman" wrote

It was rumoured that the importers wanted the margins as high as possible, and guess who the importers are for ViTrains?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

In that case, The Hobby Company should hopefully have learnt their lesson as to what the public want, after several years with no product to sell.

I just hope so, but we shall see.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

Here's a report from Rail Express with full details and pictures from the flier sent to retailers :

The chassis looks good, centrally mounted can motor, DCC-ready, directional lighting. Sadly traction tyres on 2 wheels, but that's quite normal on the continent.

Now if the body is just the right shape and not just a Lima rehash....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I think it's just a group of former Lima employee's who want to earn a living and they happen to "acquire " the drawings etc from Lima before it went under and are now putting it to "good" use :-)

All speculation of course.

Edmund

Reply to
Edmund Good

"David Westerman" wrote

Is Hobby Company a new name for Rico, or did they take over, seems at 30, the grey cells are already failing !

Richard Constants (or whatever it was) All the brands they used to have at the Toy Fair... Lima, Tamiya to name a couple...

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

In message , Andy Sollis CVMRD writes

It was Riko and Richard Kohnstam.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

It was Riko and Richard Kohnstam.

:-) Like I said, grey matter... ! We only traded with them for a short while, just before they went bust !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

The Hobby Company Ltd is the successor to Richard Kohnstam Ltd.

John.

Reply to
John Turner