newbie question

If a child isn't already predisposed towards model ralways nothing is going to make him (or her) interested. Labouring the subject is just going to be counterproductive.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Dick Ganderton

"kim" wrote

I said "enthuse". It's a matter of example and opportunity. Kids nowadays get far too few opportunities to investigate what's out there and figure out why it matters: too many predigested things foisted on them by adults concerned to shortcircuit risk and responsibility. Do kids have a "predisposition" to eating junk food and/or waving guns in playgrounds?

The older I get, the more I subscribe to the zero-sum theory of braincells: whatever's there first, stops other information crowding in unless it's genuinely more useful or more persistent. (The Jesuits believed in something similar IIRC...) The modern world seethes with stuff purporting to be "lifestyle information" but little of it actually cleaves to the imagination in the way that a skilled activity does, or indeed something as seemingly passive as hanging around a hundred-ton piece of hot metal and being wowed at what it represents. That's why I'm a railway modeller, anyway.

Tony Clarke

Reply to
Tony Clarke

"Pat Hammond" wrote

And changed to a plc from a somewhat later date.

John.

Reply to
John Turner