OPEN DAYS - Emmerse yourself in culture at St Albans heritage open days

This is Local London

Monday 7th September 2009

Manisha Mistry

" The Grade II listed Midland Railway signal box built in 1892 has always been one of the most interesting landmarks of the district. The signalbox has been restored and is the only one adjacent to an operational main line with public access. Opening up to the public will be a museum of railway memorabilia, a steam model railway and steam engine rides. "

Dragon Heart

I'm glad to see "immerse" is spelt correctly in the article headline.

Reply to
MartinS

There is another Midland Railway signal box next to an operational main line, at the south end of Settle station up platform. It has got public access, but the last time I was at Settle the opening hours were a little resticted.

Hope this helps, David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

They are trying a bit too hard there, I fear!

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Yes, aren't there a few other landmarks in St. Albans, predating the Midland Railway by hundreds of years?

MartinS

I smiled a bit at "lectures and walks will be available for free at sites which would normally be closed or charge for entry" - there won't be many on that list I've not seen, usually in much more detail than is allowed for even specially arranged public access. I spent much of my youth clambering round the clerestory of the Abbey and the Abbey gateway was part of my school, the library, so at some points I was in there daily. And a small miscreant group of us found access hatches and broke first into and then out of the attics to walk around the roof of the old school buildings, including the gateway.

-- Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?