Its the finish...

Bought a Hornby Compound today R175 in early BR black livery. To me its awful cos its gloss, very shiny perfect gloss black. Trouble is loco is perfect (as though taken onto drive and washed/polished every sunday), box is perfect with instructions.

So at the very least will have to give it a matt varnish, possibly a repaint, poss minor weathering. May then consider new comet chassis etc to make it loco drive and perhaps a recent Bachmann tender (or an other type after bit of research).

Part of me says its a bit of a crime, what do others think ?

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Your thread reminded me of another 4-4-0 I used to have, think it was a 'Hunt' class. It was so glossy you could almost see your face in it.

Did you pay a 'collectors' price ?

In the end it's your loco so suggest you do with it as you wish.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Thanks. Nope, was £45 which am happy with. Tis probably one of the lesser wanted as has British Railways on the tender, but thats part of my expanded collecting/running period.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

That's perhaps the hardest of the Hornby Compounds to find.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And that just compounds the problem. *whistles*

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Bugger !! I must remember to increase the price, if I get another one :-)

Len

Reply to
Len

Bugger !! I must remember to increase the price, if I get another one :-)

Len

Might know someone who could be persuaded to sell it back to you - course it would include a significant handling charge. :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon