Outdoor layouts?

Anyone built an outdoor OO gauge layout?

Queue Mr Sullivan with a back yard the size of a football field and a layout that is almost a 1:1 reproduction of post-Beeching BR :-)
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson

Yes, thanks.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

writes

The construction of yours looks kind of intensive......

I find that hard to understand, since I am the laziest so-and-so in town.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
writes

You've laid concrete to fix posts in (by drilling holes - there are ones to fix in wet concrete) and then used lots of extra bits.

No I didn't. The concrete was already there, that's why I had to drill it to fix the posts in. If it hadn't been there I'd have used the spiked Metposts like I did elsewhere.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
writes

The ones that go into soil or wet concrete?

The ones that go into soil. The ones for wet concrete aren't spiked. See http://www.metpost.co.uk/postsupports/spikes.htm for the spiked ones http://www.metpost.co.uk/postsupports/concrete.htm for the wet concrete ones.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html
writes

ones
spiked
Thanks.

Dare I ask, How BIG would that be in 4mm? ( I Know, How big is a pit tip!)
I'll re-phrase it - How big (high) will your tip be?
-- Andy Sollis Churnet Valley Model Railway Department (Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply) http://www.cvmrd.freeserve.co.uk http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk

It'll be big! I'm thinking of putting it in the middle of the return loop at the bottom of the garden, to act as a kind of scenic break. I expect it to be roughly triangular, 5-10 feet to a side, and about half that high.
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

Although it's not my own, I've done a lot of work on an HO (i.e. same gauge, different scale) Swedish garden railway.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do

What was it laid on?
writes

Track? :-)
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson

Plastic sheets, of the type used for conservatory roofing, with channels down the middle. Wooden framework supporting that, and the frame is fixed to plastic guttering downpipes, which then cemented into the ground. The construction seems to be standing up to the weather well, certainly better than wooden topped baseboards, but the plastic sheeting needs a lot of support framework to prevent it flexing, and is quite hard to cut. More info, if you're interested, at http://www.adnalm.org.uk