Outdoor layouts?

Anyone built an outdoor OO gauge layout?

Reply to
Mark W

Queue Mr Sullivan with a back yard the size of a football field and a layout that is almost a 1:1 reproduction of post-Beeching BR :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Mark W writes

Yes, thanks.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Mark W writes

Although it's not my own, I've done a lot of work on an HO (i.e. same gauge, different scale) Swedish garden railway.

Reply to
Spyke

LOL

Reply to
Rob K

What was it laid on?

Reply to
Mark W

The construction of yours looks kind of intensive......

Reply to
Mark W

Track? :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Mark W writes

I find that hard to understand, since I am the laziest so-and-so in town.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"John Sullivan" wrote

Dare I ask, How BIG would that be in 4mm? ( I Know, How big is a pit tip!)

I'll re-phrase it - How big (high) will your tip be?

-- Andy Sollis Churnet Valley Model Railway Department (Remove the Standard Tank from E-mail to reply)

Andrew Sollis CVMRD

You've laid concrete to fix posts in (by drilling holes - there are ones to fix in wet concrete) and then used lots of extra bits.

Reply to
Mark W

In message , Mark W writes

Plastic sheets, of the type used for conservatory roofing, with channels down the middle. Wooden framework supporting that, and the frame is fixed to plastic guttering downpipes, which then cemented into the ground. The construction seems to be standing up to the weather well, certainly better than wooden topped baseboards, but the plastic sheeting needs a lot of support framework to prevent it flexing, and is quite hard to cut. More info, if you're interested, at

Spyke

Thanks.

Reply to
Mark W

In message , Mark W writes

No I didn't. The concrete was already there, that's why I had to drill it to fix the posts in. If it hadn't been there I'd have used the spiked Metposts like I did elsewhere.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Andrew Sollis CVMRD writes

It'll be big! I'm thinking of putting it in the middle of the return loop at the bottom of the garden, to act as a kind of scenic break. I expect it to be roughly triangular, 5-10 feet to a side, and about half that high.

Reply to
John Sullivan

The ones that go into soil or wet concrete?

Reply to
Mark W

In message , Mark W writes

The ones that go into soil. The ones for wet concrete aren't spiked. See

for the spiked ones
for the wet concrete ones.

Reply to
John Sullivan