Preservation - When did it all start?

A really good place to start on the early (really early) stuff is the two books produced by the Early Railways conferences, 'Early Railways' is ed. Guy, "Early Railways 2" is ed. Lewin, both are published by the Newcomen Society. Have a word with your local library - they might be able to track them down. As well as articles, drawings and a lot besides, Early Railways

2 has a chapter on the start of railway preservation in the Patent Office Museum, South Kensington - this structure, known as the "Bampton Boilers" was one of the first big iron public buildings. It's fascinating stuff (I reckon). Recommended, and don't blame me if you end up modelling a scene in which these new, hyper-modern Stirling singles are displayed alongside the newly-preserved relics ;)
Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

"Andrew Robert Breen" wrote

Watch out for Mike Sharman's extensive collection of scratchbuilt British and European oddities, virtually none of it after 1860. He's been known to take it round major shows - I saw it at Expo EM two or three years ago. Eyewatering stuff since there are few proprietary bits for "heroic era" locos so it's hand-hewn from the metal like the prototypes. And it all goes. After seeing his Harrison "Thunderer" (GWR 1830s, not one of Brunel's better ideas) daintily twirling along on those spindly wheels, bashing a Dapol kit should be a doddle!

I'll look out for these books myself as I have a yen to do the earliest years of the London & Greenwich justice as a layout. Dead straight viaduct, no pointwork, etc... and an excuse to model Lord Dundonald's abortive split-boiler "rotary" 0-2-0 and matching guide-wheel articulated underslung coaching stock. Curious echoes of the DLR but 150 years early.

Tony Clarke

Reply to
Tony Clarke

The RCTS Great Northern Locomotive History Part 2 says that it got its current tender in 1909 - an 1866 wood frame Stirling goods tender with

1867 Stirling tank.

The Atlantic photo would have been at the time of the 1909 exhibition; the Atlantic being 1442. It was photoed with H4 (K3) 1000 in 1921, with A1 1471 in 1922 and A1 4470 in 1925.

Quick summary (the RCTS book has 4 pages)

1907: wdn, boiler gutted, stored at KX 1909: restored to 1870 look, tender added, exhibited at White City 1924: towed from KX to Doncaster on 10 Nov behind J3 4136 1925: fresh boiler for S&D Centenary exhibition. Stored York. 1927: to York Museum 1938: overhauled & exhibited around the LNER system, inc RCTS Special. Back to York museum. 1939-1945: stored Ferryhill, Co Durham 1975: new York Museum 1981/2: steamed at Loughborough

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Many thanks for the correction. The assertation that it was a Sturrock tender was based on a (probably mis)remeberance of a Railway Magazine or Railway World article circa 1975 which now lurks in my magazine stacks, $DEITY knows where...

Hmm. 1866/67 Stirling tender. Now what might suit that? Time to re-create a Stirling mixed-traffic 0-4-2? ;)

Interesting. Thanks for that.

New boiler (replica) or something rebuilt from the dump - and if so, where from?

Much appreciated!

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

I note after further research that this means it's a iron-framed tender with wooden reinforcement on the inside, not that the framing is all wood.

It actually came off an 1849 Hawthorn 0-4-2 (GNR No 112A) then recently withdrawn as works shunter. But it would indeed be the right tender for an 0-4-2 (GNR classes F1/F2/F3). All it takes is money...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Or is this frame really a timber frame with iron re-inforcement plates on the outside? Usually called a 'sandwich' frame. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce