Prototype for everything dept.

They say there is a prototype for everything, and so there is.

I've found a reversing loop, near the Minorca Taconite Pellet plant, at

47° 33' 51" N, 92° 31' 18" W.

This is near Lake Superior in the USA.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

There was one at the original Trinity Street station in Bolton, in the goods yard. It was a perfect circle of track used to reverse the order of wagons.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

They're not that uncommon in the US. Remember, they used to turn entire passenger trains.

Grand Central in New York City has one on each level. Danbury CT has one.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Closer to home, there's one at the main marshalling yard in Lille (Deliverance)- it serves to bring trains arriving from the south around to the north end of the reception sidings. Even closer than that, of course, are the arrangements at Eurotunnel's two terminals, which effectively form a continuous run under normal operation. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

There's something similar at Ely to allow trains to run direct from Peterborough to Norwich without having to reverse at Ely station.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Christopher A.Lee" wrote

They also used rather large Wyes for the same purpose.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ely North junction is a modeller's dream, if you're looking for justification for intense track layouts. Three lines merging into one, three level crossings, a reversing loop and a large industrial complex (with river access as well) alongside the junction make it an ideal setting for a busy layout.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Yes. But the discussion was about what they call balloon loops.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

The former CN coach yard in Toronto (now occupied by the CN Tower and the Rogers Centre, aka Skydome) used to have one. Turning a passenger train saves having to go through the train and turn all the seats to face front (yes, they still do that).

Reply to
MartinS

And then there was the observation car which would still have to be turned.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Also, the Philadelphia heavy rail Subway-Elevated has two above-ground turning loops, at Market and 69th Streets and at Fern Rock on the Broad Street line.

New York has an underground subway loop at South Ferry station at the southern tip of Manhattan. Because of the tight curvature and short platform, a new ADA-compliant terminal is under construction below it.

MartinS

Looking at the Google satellite photo, there is a turntable at the new Mimico coach yard that is probably used to turn individual cars. There is also a small wye which may be an industrial spur.

Reply to
MartinS

Dijon also.

Reply to
Peter Abraham

"Christopher A.Lee" wrote

So sorry, I didn't realise one had to stick so specifically to the subject under discussion on here. They must have changed the rules recently.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Check out Roberts Bank terminal (near Vancouver, Canada.)

Reply to
Wolf

Hope to do that at beginning of August. Have managed to make contact with someone who used to work there and still has contacts there. Not too certain how close I can get but hope to be allowed in.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Most (if not all?) merry-go-round terminals (coal loading plants/power stations) have them.

Reply to
John Nuttall

"John Nuttall" wrote in news:4688d9f6$0$6925 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

'Scuse me for stating the obvious, but surely they wouldn't (couldn't?) be merry-go-round terminals if they didn't?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In message , Chris Wilson writes

I thought merry-go-rounds went round in circles.

Mind you, there's a prototype for that also:

You may find the whole site interesting!

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Jane Sullivan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk:

Fantastic trackwork