Bits of old clocks, other plastic scrap and a glue gun

Bits of old clocks, other plastic scrap and a glue gun

My son was looking through one of his model train mag's and saw an article about making up 'loads' and came to show me.

I had a think about it and set to work collecting bits of scrap plastic and the workings from old electronic clocks etc.

My first job was to measure the internal sizes of his trucks which are mostly 29 or 30 mm wide with the lengths from about 63 to 84 mm.

What could I use to make the first 'load' ... a stack of pipes ? The answer was left in my sons mug ... a 'magic straw' ( the ones that have strawberry crystals in them to turn milk into a fruity drink ). Cut them into 2 or 3 equal lengths and glued 6 of them into a 3 by 3 stack. Paint them blue for water pipes, yellow for gas and silver for steel then glue two lengths of 29 mm long 'stirring sticks' from a well know fast food restaurant as supports and finally wrap some black nylon sewing cotton to form the bindings.

The next load was a pile of scrap metal. Simply bits of scrap plastic ( found one of my sons old damaged cars with that 'silvered plastic' ) cut into small bits then stuck onto one of the many false credit cards we get through the post as junk mail cut to size and then all painted silver and finally added the springs from old pens. Did the same with the plastic painted brass.

Next came some 'tarpaulin' covered loads. Again various shapes of plastic stuck to some thin board, used a pair of my sons old blue jog bottoms cut into bits and stuck over the 'loads' then the nylon cotton was used as ropes.

Finally came some 'steel girders' ... had an old aluminium cold frame that had lost the battle the last high winds we had so I cut these to length ( making sure all burrs we removed ) again the 'stirring sticks' and nylon to complete the effect.

OK they are not as good as some of the efforts by those we see at exhibitions but my son was very happy with them and that's all that matters !

To be honest it was quite therapeutic !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Wellcome to the 'dont throw anything away' attitude. Walk slowly passed skips and just how small does a scrap of plastic have to be before its thrown away.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Throw away??? Huhh?

I drop my plasticard scraps in MEK to make an excellent filler.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I have no need to look into skips for bits of discarded plastic .... just wait for the recycling collection from the local council and with a quick walk with the dog and the 'raw material' could be found strewn all around the footpath & road.

With regards to the 'don't throw anything away' attitude I have always be one to strip down old / broken household gadgets / appliances for 'spares'. The inner workings of dials, timers, switches and valves would also make interesting shapes for model railway loads. I even striped down an old PC and used the motherboard as a picture !

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I refuse to buy and scatter materials, thats where my plastic goes.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Video players as a source of motors. Old PC's an excellent source of copper and 'pickup' making materials. My son likes to look at the inner workings of various household items. Unfortunately he rarely uses a delicate way of dismantling them.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Video players as a source of motors. Old PC's an excellent source of copper and 'pickup' making materials. My son likes to look at the inner workings of various household items. Unfortunately he rarely uses a delicate way of dismantling them.

Back to the Birmingham screwdriver again !

I want to make my son some traditional 'fish' loads, my idea is to get a photo of some fish on display and stick it to a piece of board then cover it with something to represent the ice. I thought about using small clear glass beads ( which I have yet to find a source ) but am open to suggestions !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

For small glass beads your local emporium of candles and new age etc will have them, but ice from any distance looks white, I would suggest, chop some polystyrene very small (and out doors, its messy and full of static) and put glue where ice and rime would be and cover with that, with some fish showing through from behind. It seems to look just right, where other snow/oce effects don't always convince.

Reply to
estarriol

If you know a local mineral collector or perhaps the new age type place then crystals of calcite would look very nice. There can be a number of varieties from clear to whitish, breaks very easily into tiny pieces - depending on size of hammer. Thin layer or two should look perfect and a reasonable size piece shouldnt cost more than a pound or 2. One or 2 other minerals could be as effective but may not break so easily. Dont try quartz. If you feel brave then perhaps scrap glass !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Oh gosh that takes me back ... clocks and watches were my forte.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"estarriol" wrote in news:f6dmea$f38$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Bog standard PVA glue applied in a freezing or near freezing enviroment will leave a white film that very much looks like ice when the material underneith it is either smooth wood or plastic (smooth or moulded).

Haven't tried it on any other materials - it dries a little like a "paint wash" but with a tad more substance if you're familiar with the technique.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Pity that cars no longer use toughened glass windshields as when they break irregular but smooth glass beads are formed.

I will trial a few of your ideas.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

It's spelled "Brummagem" (Really!)

Kim

Reply to
kim

I keep eyeing up CD/DVD plastic boxes, as a source of both clear + black or white or coloured plastic. Anyone tried it , and with what degree of success?

Reply to
Kirk

Yes, the clear plastic is excellent for structures which consist largely of windows, for example the top halves of signal boxes. Plastic Weld will stick it together.

Reply to
John Nuttall

How do you cut it?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Score and crack it. You may have to file down the rough edge a bit, though.

Reply to
jasper_goat

Exactly. Just the same as thick plastikard.

Reply to
John Nuttall

I keep eyeing up CD/DVD plastic boxes, as a source of both clear + black or white or coloured plastic. Anyone tried it , and with what degree of success?

Yes, the clear plastic is excellent for structures which consist largely of windows, for example the top halves of signal boxes. Plastic Weld will stick it together.

Is that type of clear plastic UV stabilised ? i.e. will it go 'milky' with age

Chris B

Reply to
Dragon Heart